Strong odor affects 14 Poulsbo Middle School students

Strong odor affects 14 Poulsbo Middle School students

POULSBO — Fourteen Poulsbo Middle School students were evaluated by paramedics Dec. 8 after complaining of headaches, the North Kitsap School District reported about noon.

The students were in the school’s art and tech rooms when they began to experience headache symptoms, district spokeswoman Jenn Markaryan said.

“Tech shop students in the room next door were working with a metal forge and it appears the exhaust went through the ventilation system into the art room,” Markaryan said. “A teacher reported it to the office and the principal and vice principal went down and decided to call the fire district.”

Crews from North Kitsap Fire & Rescue responded and evacuated students from the two affected rooms. Firefighters checked the rooms for elevated carbon monoxide levels. The initial classroom inspection did not indicate high levels of carbon monoxide. Parents of affected students are being contacted.

“The students are fine,” Poulsbo Middle School principal Josh Emmons tolf the Herald approximately 12:40 p.m. Dec. 8.

Initially, 14 students complained of headache symptoms. The Poulsbo Fire Department evaluated 17 students. They were treated accordingly and were being released. The rest of the school is considered OK and students are on their normal schedule.

“As a precaution, we evaluated all kids in the rooms and treated them for carbon monoxide poisoning,” Battalion Chief Jim Gilliard said. “None had life-threatening injuries or illnesses.”

Notification was sent to parents, staff and the community via the school’s website and to media following the all clear.

More in News

.
Poulsbo considers Transportation Benefit District

Car tab fees would be used to fix neighborhood streets

.
52 new COVID cases confirmed in Kitsap

On Friday, the Kitsap Public Health District confirmed 52 new COVID cases… Continue reading

.
Locals weigh in on county’s new homeless facility on Mile Hill Drive

Kitsap County officials say that facility residents will be counseled and accounted for

NKF&R firefighters Michael Foreman, left, and Harry Hause extinguish stubborn hot spots after a Tuesday afternoon trailer fire in Suquamish. Courtesy Photo
Suquamish man loses possessions in trailer fire

A damaged cord is thought to have sparked a travel trailer fire… Continue reading

.
Port Orchard Police Department achieves accreditation status

Port Orchard agency joins other Kitsap law enforcement organizations in becoming accredited

.
It’s downright despicable

Two miniature Christmas trees on Bay Street stolen from their planters

.
Festival of Chimes and Lights to wipe away the winter’s gloom

Drive along Bay Street to see the twinkle of downtown Port Orchard

.
SKSD is accepting referrals for Highly Capable Program

Referrals will be accepted from Dec. 3 through Jan. 21

Most Read