Strong odor affects 14 Poulsbo Middle School students

POULSBO — Fourteen Poulsbo Middle School students were evaluated by paramedics Dec. 8 after complaining of headaches, the North Kitsap School District reported about noon.

The students were in the school’s art and tech rooms when they began to experience headache symptoms, district spokeswoman Jenn Markaryan said.

“Tech shop students in the room next door were working with a metal forge and it appears the exhaust went through the ventilation system into the art room,” Markaryan said. “A teacher reported it to the office and the principal and vice principal went down and decided to call the fire district.”

Crews from North Kitsap Fire & Rescue responded and evacuated students from the two affected rooms. Firefighters checked the rooms for elevated carbon monoxide levels. The initial classroom inspection did not indicate high levels of carbon monoxide. Parents of affected students are being contacted.

“The students are fine,” Poulsbo Middle School principal Josh Emmons tolf the Herald approximately 12:40 p.m. Dec. 8.

Initially, 14 students complained of headache symptoms. The Poulsbo Fire Department evaluated 17 students. They were treated accordingly and were being released. The rest of the school is considered OK and students are on their normal schedule.

“As a precaution, we evaluated all kids in the rooms and treated them for carbon monoxide poisoning,” Battalion Chief Jim Gilliard said. “None had life-threatening injuries or illnesses.”

Notification was sent to parents, staff and the community via the school’s website and to media following the all clear.

More in News

26 active cases of COVID-19 reported in Kitsap Thursday

So far, 18 positive cases have been reported in July

CHI Franciscan opens new Family Medicine Clinic

Clinic provides outpatient care such as obstetrics, pediatrics, sports health, addiction treatment.

Washington State Parks ‘roofed accommodations’ now available for rent

Bainbridge Island Metropolitan Parks & Recreation District cabins also available for rent

Demonstrators gather in downtown Poulsbo on July 3, the one year anniversary after the fatal police shooting of Stonechild Chiefstick. Photo Courtesy Suquamish Tribe
Memorial caravan honors Chiefstick on anniversary of fatal shooting

Exactly one year after Stonechild Chiefstick, of the Chippewa Cree tribe of… Continue reading

South Kitsap Fire and Rescue Chief Steve Wright has retired from the agency after 34 years of service in the county. He now is executive director of the Washington Fire Chiefs Association in Olympia. (Bob Smith | Kitsap Daily News file photo)
Chief Wright retires, Jeff Faucett fills his boots at SKFR

Wright now leading Washington Fire Chief Association in Olympia

Small aircraft crashes near Mullenix Road in South Kitsap

Pilot trapped inside on-fire plane, taken to Harborview with critical injuries

Outbreaks a concern for board of health as cases rise in Kitsap

For the moment, Kitsap County is managing the COVID-19 pandemic, but worries… Continue reading

COVID-19 infections continue to rise in Kitsap County

22 active cases of COVID-19, 267 total infections since March

NKSD will use hybrid learning model next school year

Each school will split students into two groups for remote and in-person learning

Most Read