SK High incident results in student suffering serious injury
Published 1:30 am Tuesday, November 25, 2025
Many South Kitsap High School students walked out of class Nov. 25 to protest what they describe as inadequate safety measures and staff response following a Nov. 20 incident that seriously injured a student.
Per SKHS junior Kojima Jaqua, who learned of the incident through peers and circulating photos, a student was seriously injured after another student allegedly engaged in what the district later described as “unsafe behavior.” Jaqua said the same action also injured a second student, who immediately called 911. The student accused of causing the injuries was arrested later that day.
The 15-year-old student who was severely injured received stitches and was diagnosed with a traumatic brain injury, per a GoFundMe account made on behalf of the student.
The Port Orchard Police Department released a statement Nov. 25, saying officers were dispatched to SKHS Nov. 20 for the report of a student who had been hit in the head with a pole. Officers arrived and contacted the 15-year-old female student in the nurse’s office, who was being treated for a head injury. She was eventually transported to a local hospital for additional treatment.
Officers also contacted a 15-year-old male student, the original 911 caller, who had also been hit in the head with the pole and sustained an injury. He received medical aid and was taken to a local hospital for additional treatment, per POPD.
A 16-year-old male suspect was identified and officers developed probable cause to arrest him for third-degree assault and reckless endangerment. He was booked into the Kitsap Juvenile Detention Center, and additional charges may be filed by the Prosecutor’s Office, POPD says.
“The investigation determined that the suspect had dropped a metal stanchion from a landing above where the two victims were seated. The stanchion struck both victims,” a statement from POPD says.
In a Nov. 20 message to families, the South Kitsap School District said administrators contacted 911 for medical support and that Port Orchard Police officers responded and removed the student who caused the harm.
Police chief Matt Brown later acknowledged the arrest should not have taken place in view of other students, saying in the district’s message that “officers should have made their arrest out of the view of other students.” He said the officers were counseled.
In a follow-up message Nov. 24, SKHS principal Melissa Super-Greene told families that initial safety steps were followed “quickly and in the right order,” adding that staff “reacted with care and urgency” and that the district is reviewing the incident. She also told families that its top priority “always is the safety, wellbeing, and sense of belonging of every student in our care.”
Students have expressed dissatisfaction with how the school responded before and after emergency personnel arrived.
“They’re trying to sweep it under as soon as they can,” Jaqua said. She claimed that students felt that immediate care for the injured student was insufficient.
Jaqua said around 70 students planned the walkout and even more participated, bringing the total to around 100.
“Students are hoping the school recognizes that they’ve done something wrong and accommodates students (who) have been hurt,” Jaqua said.
