Quincy Square to go car-free on weekends through end of year
Published 1:30 am Monday, August 11, 2025
Quincy Square has gone car-free on weekends through the end of the year under a new city of Bremerton pilot program that began Aug.8.
The closure, which runs from Fridays at 3 p.m. to Mondays at 8 a.m., is designed to create a pedestrian-first public space downtown. The trial follows strong community feedback after Quincy Square’s grand opening in July, when residents and visitors voiced a desire for a walkable, vibrant space.
“We heard our community loud and clear,” said Jessica Combs, director of the Downtown Bremerton Association. “Quincy Square was always envisioned as a dynamic public space for people. By going car-free on weekends, we’re allowing families, artists, musicians, and small businesses to thrive in a safer, more engaging environment.”
Mayor Greg Wheeler said the city’s weekend closure program builds on years of public input and the success of the square’s launch last month.
“The city’s pilot program comes from feedback on the heels of the successful launch of Quincy Square in July combined with years of input from the community to the city on the project,” Wheeler said. “Quincy Square is fast becoming an in-demand location for arts, entertainment and other events, and this is an important next step to realizing the full potential of Quincy Square.”
To implement the program, the city will place temporary signage around Quincy Square starting three days before each weekend closure and use street bollards at the east and west ends to prevent vehicle access during non-parking hours. Permanent street and parking signage updates are also underway.
The closure is part of a broader effort to enhance livability and boost downtown activity. Events, pop-up markets, performances and outdoor dining are already being planned for the pedestrian-first space. Buskers and passive programming will help keep the area active even when no formal events are scheduled.
