A fire caused by a chemical reaction from oily rags damaged portions of a downstairs laundry room at Park Vista Retirement Community in Port Orchard. A single sprinkler head in the ceiling extinguished the fire. Photo: South Kitsap Fire and Rescue

Sprinkler head extinguishes fire in retirement community

PORT ORCHARD — A fire in a basket filled with oily rags in a downstairs laundry room at Park Vista Retirement Community Sept. 28 was extinguished by South Kitsap Fire and Rescue firefighters.

SKFR dispatched 16 apparatus and support vehicles to the Port Orchard retirement community at 2944 SE Lund Ave. An additional engine responded from Bremerton Fire Department.

As firefighters opened the door to the laundry room, they noticed smoke in the room, Assistant Chief Jeff Faucett said. One sprinkler head had been activated by heat from the fire, he added. Additional crews arriving were able to assist Park Vista’s staff in moving residents to a safe location in the building.

“Once the rags ignited, the fire traveled up a wall and extended to cabinets above the basket,” Faucett said. “The flames generated enough heat to activate the sprinkler head, which extinguished the fire.”

Deputy Fire Marshal Brad Wiggins said the fire could have been much worse. “Given the time of night, the number of residents and the fact that many of them need assistance moving around, things could have been worse,” Wiggins said. “The sprinkler system, the fire alarm system and Park Vista staff did their job and that is the reason for the positive outcome.”

The fire was caused by a chemical reaction from oily rags piled in a basket, Faucett said. The rags had been used to clean ovens and were soaked in grease. He said it is common for fabric material that has been soaked in oil to have a chemical reaction that will heat up to the point of ignition.

Giving oily rags a run-through in a washing machine typically won’t remove the oils, he noted.

Fire department officials said the fire was the second this year that SKFR has responded to where a single sprinkler has saved a commercial structure from fire loss.

More in News

Poulsbo safety enhancement plan | UPDATE

POULSBO—An update on Poulsbo’s safety enhancement plan was included in the Feb.… Continue reading

Taking early detection a step further

New genetic test can show cancer risk

Man has left abandoned boats and ruined finances in his wake

Daniel J. Webb’s dubious legal history extends past spreading himself too thin financially

Video footage shows officer removing drugs from medication drop box

Officer Stacey Smaaladen charged with felony; on paid administrative leave

No explosives found; driver undergoes mental health evaluation

Told Navy personnel he had an improvised explosive device

Bremerton police investigated an online threat Feb. 23 and found the threat originated in New Mexico. Officers also learned a suspect there is in custody. (Bremerton PD)
Bremerton High School closed as precaution because of online threat

Police received information about a social media threat that was possibly directed at the school

Bill would exempt certain legislative records from public disclosure | Updated

Senate Bill 6617 was introduced Feb. 21; is not subject to hearings

Kitsap Immigrant Assistance Center participated in the Kitsap Builds Bridges, Not Walls vigil in March 2017.
                                Michelle Beahm | Kitsap News Group file photo
Kitsap Immigration Assistance Center has a new director of family services.

BREMERTON — When Marthita May, former family services director and co-founder of… Continue reading

Taxes, guns among topics at meeting with legislators

Questions at the legislators’ meeting Feb. 17 ran the gamut from taxes to gun control

Most Read