The Kitsap Public Health District issued a no-contact advisory Wednesday for Kitsap Lake due to the presence of potentially toxic cyanobacteria — also known as toxic blue-green algae.
“There are many different types of cyanobacteria and not all blooms are toxic,” a release from KPHD stated. “The type of algae present at Kitsap Lake is known to produce toxins.”
Water samples taken from Kitsap Lake June 12 have been sent to a lab to determine if the bloom is producing toxins at this time. People should be aware that toxicity conditions can change quickly and there are increased health risks with cyanobacteria contact, the release reads.
Because toxic cyanobacteria can make people sick and can kill pets, fish, waterfowl and livestock, the public is advised to:
- Avoid all contact with the lake until further notice
- Avoid ingesting lake or stream water
- Limit access of pets and livestock to the lake
- Avoid eating fish caught during the algae bloom
- Rinse boats and trailers thoroughly before going to another lake
No illnesses have been reported to the Kitsap Public Health District yet. Advisory signs will be posted at public-access areas and roadsides around the lake. Residents who live near lakes or people visiting the lake are encouraged to look for cyanobacteria blooms and contact Kitsap Public Health District at 360-728-2235 when blooms are observed or if they notice any of the following conditions:
- Large numbers of dead fish in the lake
- Sudden or unexplained sickness or death of a pet cat or dog
- If someone entered the water and experiences a skin rash, dizziness or weakness, respiratory allergy, abdominal pain, diarrhea or vomiting