The following history of the Scout Hall, which is owned by the Jackson Hall Memorial Association, is from a history compiled (and neatly hand-written) by J.E. Wyatt and Irving Allen.
History of Jackson Hall Memorial Association, Dedicated 24 July 1937
In 1932, William R. Greaves, then scout master, arranged for Troop No. 552 to purchase from the county the three lots on which this building now stands for $58 as tax title property. From that time on, the Troop Committee, Ladies Auxiliary and Greaves met on numerous occasions discussing ways and means to construct a Scout Hall upon the lots purchased by the boys.
The late Thomas Hynes, editor of the Silverdale Breeze, was one of the best boosters the Scouts had. He heard of the committee’s ambitions and set to work to obtain a small sum of money left by the late Jackson Hall in the amount of $202.
Mr. Hall’s will directed that any money remaining from his estate be given to some organization within Silverdale, for the benefit of the community within Silverdale. Bob Gordon, Guy McCullum and Thomas Hynes were named as trustees to execute the will. Hynes arranged for a meeting of the above trustees and convinced them that the Boy Scouts of Silverdale should have this money to put toward the construction of a Scout Hall. This money was then turned over to the Silverdale Boy Scouts.
The next move was to form a nonprofit corporation, which was done in the year 1933. Hal Goreman, Bremerton attorney, drew up the incorporation papers, which included the Isaac Walton Chapter of Silverdale, the sponsoring organization of Silverdale Boy Scouts Troop 552, the Boy Scouts of Silverdale and the Girl Scouts of Silverdale, and was present to supervise the election of officers of the newly organized Jackson Hall Memorial Association, Inc.
The following officers were elected: J. E. Wyatt, chairman; Andrew Anderson, vice chairman; Adrian Lavine, secretary; Alfred Carlson, treasurer; William R. Greaves, and Everett Frost.
The following were charter members: S. W. Mathews, Thomas Hynes, James Kilkenny, P.W. Torpey, Frank Youngs, Joe Hammer Jr., and Frank Hopkins Sr.
This accomplished, it was decided to construct a small one-story frame building, about 20 feet by 40 feet, figuring this could be accomplished for about $800 if we could accomplish it with voluntary labor. After many meetings of discussion relative to the type of building and how to raise the necessary funds, we had a meeting in the home of Mr. and Mrs. James P. Kilkenny where it was suggested by Mr. Wyatt that we try and have the Works Progress Administration build it for us. (This is a relief organization set up by President Franklin Delano Roosevelt to provide labor for the unemployed). Mr. S.W. Mathews was directed to interview WPA executives in Seattle on the subject.
Mr. Mathews returned with a report that in order to obtain assistance from the WPA, we must deed our property over to City, County or Municipal corporation to sponsor the project. The property was then deeded to the Silverdale Water District, of which Alfred Carlson was chairman, J.E. Wyatt secretary, and Ed Fellows member.
Application was prepared, including plans and specifications for a two-story log building, 40 feet by 60 feet. The project was approved and construction began in March 1936.
Before completion, the WPA granted an additional appropriation. The Troop Committee and Ladies Auxiliary held banquets, card parties, raffles, etc. to raise funds. At the time of the dedication, the community would have contributed $1,500 toward the construction. The WPA did not furnish material.
The Ladies’ Auxiliary consisted of: Mrs. Carl Lindberg, Mrs. H. S. Wintermute, Mrs. Frank Youngs, Mrs. Frank Hopkins, Mrs. S.W. Mathews, Mrs. Ron Davis, Mrs. Ted Paulson, Mrs. J.. Kilkenny, Mrs. P.W. Torpey, Mrs. William R. Greaves, Mrs. Kunz, Mrs. Andrew Anderson, Mrs. John Tisher, Mrs. Orwiler, Mrs. J.W. Wyatt, Mrs. C. W. Wallace, and Mrs. Alfred Carlson.
Before starting construction of the building, the water commissioners organized a separate committee known as the building committee with J. E. Wyatt as chairman, Adrian Levin secretary, Alfred Carlson treasurer, and S. W. Mathews, Andrew Anderson, Everett Frost, William R. Greaves, Frank Hopkins Sr., and Frank Youngs.
Frank Youngs was appointed by the water commissioners as general superintendent of construction. He deserves special comment for his untiring and faithful services rendered.
Plans and dedication arrangements were carried out by the following committee, S. W. Mathews, general chairman.
Reception: W. R. Greaves, Alfred Carlson, Joe Hammer, Mrs. John Tisher, J.P. Kilkenny, and F. Orwiler.
Decorations: J. E. Wyatt, Mrs. J. A. Wright, Mrs. Gus Mey, and Rudy Anderson.
Refreshments: Mrs. Frank Hopkins, Mrs. E.A. Walton, Mrs. P. W. Torpey, Mrs. J. P. Kilkenny and Tom Lewis.
Entertainment: S. W. Mathews, C. W. Wallace, Adrian Levine and Mr. Hall.
n n n
Marlene (Brooks) Hattrick recalled on July 26, 2017: “The Scout Hall was used by the Silverdale Methodist Church for its Harvest Festival dinners, which I remember attending as a family. I attended several Halloween parties and remember square dances around 1950.”