A 17-year-old Port Orchard teenager died as a result of a two-car collision in South Kitsap Oct. 8. The driver, an 18-year-old girl from Gig Harbor, was transported to Tacoma General Hospital with undetermined injuries. Photo: Kitsap County Sheriff’s Office

Port Orchard teen killed in South Kitsap crash

SOUTH KITSAP — A Port Orchard teenager, who was a passenger in a vehicle traveling on a South Kitsap road, was killed in a two-car collision Oct. 8, according to the Kitsap County Sheriff’s Office.

James P. Oatridge, 17, was pronounced dead at the scene of the crash on Willow Road SE and SE Spruce Road, which is close to the Pierce County line. The driver of the 1999 Honda Civic, an 18-year-old girl from Gig Harbor, was taken to Tacoma General Hospital. Her condition is not yet known.

Oatridge had recently moved to Port Orchard from Gig Harbor.

Sheriff’s deputies and South Kitsap Fire and Rescue firefighters responded to the accident after receiving an aid call at 11:08 a.m., on Oct. 8. The Honda was found upside down and the other vehicle, a 2008 Ford F-250 truck, partially on top of the Civic. In order to assist the Honda’s passengers, sheriff’s office deputies hitched a tow line to a patrol SUV to move the vehicle from under the truck, Scott Wilson, sheriff’s office deputy, said.

“We couldn’t wait for a tow truck to arrive to pull the truck off,” Wilson said. “We needed to get that truck off so firefighters could get inside to deal with the people inside.”

The driver of the truck, a 43-year-old Gig Harbor man, also was taken to Tacoma General Hospital. His condition has yet to be disclosed.

Wilson described the accident as a “standard T-bone collision.” He said the Honda was traveling northbound on Willow when it intersected with Spruce and failed to stop for the F-250 truck, which was heading westbound on Spruce.

“For whatever the reason, the girl either went through the intersection without stopping or didn’t yield to the truck,” Wilson said.

While the accident is under investigation by the sheriff’s office, Wilson said both drivers and the passenger were wearing seatbelts. There were no signs of excessive speed or of alcohol use, he noted.