Loss leaves SK in tough position

Boys must win two games in Narrows League tourney to qualify for districts

The hope among the South Kitsap boys basketball community was that an inexperienced team would develop consistency.

Coach John Callaghan said early in the season that likely would occur around New Year’s Day.

But after Wednesday’s 48-31 loss at Foss — the Wolves’ lowest scoring output of the season — it seems questionable whether they ever will develop that

consistency. After all, they’re 5-4 this month and secured the No. 4 seed in the Narrows League Bridge Division after being swept by Foss.

“Our season will be over if we don’t play harder than the second half,” said Callaghan, whose team was outscored 29-9 in the final 16 minutes by the Falcons.

Regardless, it won’t be an easy path for the Wolves.

Even if they beat the Bay Division No. 4 — either Mount Tahoma or North Kitsap — Friday at Stadium, they must win the following day at Mount Tahoma to earn a district berth.

“Of course it’s frustrating, given what’s at stake,” junior guard Ivan Rybachuk said. “The next game is bigger. We have to come out, execute and play hard.”

Callaghan said the Wolves haven’t done that lately, citing their 66-43 loss Jan. 23 at Gig Harbor.

Sandwiched between the Gig Harbor and Foss games was a 66-45 win Jan. 25 against Wilson.

“We had an opportunity the last two games,” he said, referring to the losses. “Against Gig Harbor, we didn’t know the opportunity we had.”

South advanced to a school-record six consecutive state playoff tournaments (2001-06) before it missed last season, but face a significant challenge to get back to that point. Even making districts won’t be easy, but guard Tionne Curry said he hasn’t lost confidence.

“I’m trying to make it to state,” he said. “I’m trying to fight.”

• Curry bounces back from big hit: Injuries are supposed to be part of the game, not halftime. But that’s what happened to Curry and he acknowledged he was fortunate to avoid a significant injury.

As the players exited to head down to the locker room during the break in a 66-57 win Jan. 17 against North Kitsap, Curry said he pushed a door open before it hit someone standing on the other side. The door then swung back toward Curry, who stepped forward and was hit in the face.

He missed the Wolves’ 66-43 loss Jan. 19 at Lincoln and underwent dental surgery three days later to repair damage to his teeth. Curry played the next day and scored seven points in the loss at Gig Harbor.

“I’m feeling better,” he said. “It’s not bothering me much.”