NKF&R firefighters Michael Foreman, left, and Harry Hause extinguish stubborn hot spots after a Tuesday afternoon trailer fire in Suquamish. Courtesy Photo

NKF&R firefighters Michael Foreman, left, and Harry Hause extinguish stubborn hot spots after a Tuesday afternoon trailer fire in Suquamish. Courtesy Photo

Suquamish man loses possessions in trailer fire

  • Wednesday, December 1, 2021 9:43am
  • News

A damaged cord is thought to have sparked a travel trailer fire in Suquamish, displacing one man and consuming most of his possessions.

There were no injuries in the Tuesday afternoon blaze.

North Kitsap Fire and Rescue crews were dispatched to a fire near the corner of Brockton Avenue and Pine Street at 12:48 p.m. Multiple reports of heavy black smoke caused 911 dispatchers to elevate the incident to a residential structure fire, bringing additional resources from Poulsbo Fire Department.

A Suquamish police officer was first on scene and reported the 18-foot trailer as fully involved in flames. Once they arrived, firefighters were able to get water on the fire quickly to prevent the flames from spreading to other nearby structures but the trailer is a total loss.

Officials say that the construction of trailers and recreational vehicles leads them to burn fast and hot, nearly always resulting in complete destruction when fire strikes.

The trailer’s occupant told officials that he was on a walk to a nearby store when the fire broke out. The trailer and its contents were not insured. NKF&R firefighters secured a motel room as temporary lodging for the man, and PFD’s Community Assistance Referral and Education Service team will be working with him to find longer-term solutions.

An investigator from the Kitsap County Fire Marshal’s Office believes the fire likely started when a damaged and energized appliance or electronics cord generated enough heat to ignite nearby combustibles. Officials urge residents to regularly check all cords for damage and replace when necessary; make sure cords are protected from mechanical damage; and avoid using cords to pull plugs from outlets, which can cause hidden damage inside the plug and/or the outlet.

Pine Street between Brockton and Urban avenues was blocked for nearly two hours while crews worked.

More in News

The scene at Central Valley Road where 63-year-old Poulsbo resident John Skubic was killed last Friday after a hit and run while riding his bike. Courtesy photo
Poulsbo cyclist killed, suspect arrested, in hit-and-run

A 63-year-old Poulsbo resident, John Skubic, was killed Friday on Central Valley… Continue reading

.
‘Soup Crawl’ in Port Orchard set for Friday and Saturday

Six restaurants along Bay Street participating in foodie event

.
Salmon habitat rules would restrict agricultural uses

By Brooklynn Hillemann WNPA Olympia News Service OLYMPIA — Advocates hope mandatory… Continue reading

.
Future fund would help close income gap, supporters say

Washington Future Fund Trust would act as a savings account for babies born under Apple Health

.
Mexican restaurant’s kitchen hit by blaze

SKFR crews limit damage due to ‘aggressive offensive attack’

A firefighter checks through the damage. Courtesy photos
Neighbor awakens family in Suquamish fire

A neighbor in Suquamish is credited with alerting a family of four… Continue reading

.
Former football coach’s court case to be heard before U.S. Supreme Court

Joe Kennedy, Bremerton School District fought over right to pray on sidelines after football games

.
Kitsap Transit may need to reduce ferry sailings due to COVID impacts

Agency says it will issue rider alerts updating customers

.
Poulsbo, Housing Kitsap combine on Nordic Cottage project

The Poulsbo City Council Wednesday approved an agreement with Housing Kitsap to… Continue reading

Most Read