A damaged cord is thought to have sparked a travel trailer fire in Suquamish, displacing one man and consuming most of his possessions.
There were no injuries in the Tuesday afternoon blaze.
North Kitsap Fire and Rescue crews were dispatched to a fire near the corner of Brockton Avenue and Pine Street at 12:48 p.m. Multiple reports of heavy black smoke caused 911 dispatchers to elevate the incident to a residential structure fire, bringing additional resources from Poulsbo Fire Department.
A Suquamish police officer was first on scene and reported the 18-foot trailer as fully involved in flames. Once they arrived, firefighters were able to get water on the fire quickly to prevent the flames from spreading to other nearby structures but the trailer is a total loss.
Officials say that the construction of trailers and recreational vehicles leads them to burn fast and hot, nearly always resulting in complete destruction when fire strikes.
The trailer’s occupant told officials that he was on a walk to a nearby store when the fire broke out. The trailer and its contents were not insured. NKF&R firefighters secured a motel room as temporary lodging for the man, and PFD’s Community Assistance Referral and Education Service team will be working with him to find longer-term solutions.
An investigator from the Kitsap County Fire Marshal’s Office believes the fire likely started when a damaged and energized appliance or electronics cord generated enough heat to ignite nearby combustibles. Officials urge residents to regularly check all cords for damage and replace when necessary; make sure cords are protected from mechanical damage; and avoid using cords to pull plugs from outlets, which can cause hidden damage inside the plug and/or the outlet.
Pine Street between Brockton and Urban avenues was blocked for nearly two hours while crews worked.