PORT ORCHARD — The Kiwanis Club of Port Orchard has awarded $27,500 in scholarship money to 11 students graduating from South Kitsap School District programs this year.
The winners will be recognized at the South Kitsap High School Laurel’s Night on May 27, as well as at graduation ceremonies for Discovery Alternative High School students.
“The Class of 2021 has battled adversity and we are honored to recognize their hard work and achievements,” said Don Grimes, chair of the Kiwanis Club of Port Orchard Scholarship Committee.
“The Kiwanis Club is thrilled to support these 11 amazing students as they continue their educational journey. Congratulations to the entire Class of 2021,” Grimes said.
Here are the scholarship recipients for 2021:
- Xander Pribbenow earned the Dr. Dewayne Gower Kiwanis Memorial Scholarship
- Ryland Mirano earned the Judge James Maddock Kiwanis Memorial Scholarship
- Lauren Grace Kelly earned the Judge James Maddock Kiwanis Memorial Scholarship
- Joephery Ferdinand Garcia Rafael earned the Alice Watson Kiwanis Memorial Scholarship
- Alison Berntson earned the Tom Stansbery Kiwanis Memorial Scholarship
- Brody Oliver earned the Doug Johnson Kiwanis Memorial Scholarship
- Lanah Duque earned a Kiwanis of Port Orchard Club Scholarship
- Elisabeth Hickle earned a Kiwanis of Port Orchard Club Scholarship
- Aurora Asay earned a Kiwanis of Port Orchard Club Scholarship
- Kalyana Neville earned a Kiwanis of Port Orchard Club Scholarship
- Michelle He earned a Kiwanis of Port Orchard Club Scholarship
The Kiwanis Club of Port Orchard also is involved in a variety of projects and community service programs that assist children locally and worldwide, including:
The Kindergarten reading program, which began at Sunny Slope Elementary in 1993, operates in nine of our 10 elementary schools in the South Kitsap School District.
Terrific Kids, has operated since 2002 at all 10 South Kitsap elementary schools. Students are recognized for outstanding citizenship and awarded with a certificate, pencil, magnet and a “Proud Parent of a Terrific Kid” bumper sticker.
To the Library Reading Project sponsors all third-grade students in South Kitsap schools with the opportunity to visit the Kitsap Regional Library for a behind-the-scenes tour. Each student learns how to use the library and leaves with their own library card.
Students of the Month are recognized from among the three middle schools and the South Kitsap High School at the club’s luncheon. High-achieving students are invited to lunch with their families, recognized and given cash awards.
The Bike Rodeo has been supported by the Kiwanis Club of Port Orchard for a number of years. In partnership with other local agencies and Kiwanis groups, the Port Orchard club has provided free helmets and fittings to more than 2,000 toddlers and children, given away 400 gently used bikes and instructed more than 1,500 children in basic bike safety.
The Builders Club was formed in 1999 and comprises between 15 and 20 Cedar Heights Middle School students who provide over 200 hours of community service annually. In recent years, Builders have helped with our kindergarten reading program, Special Olympics, Bike Rodeo, Relay for Life, Senior Conference at the Pavilion, and Cedar Heights Clean-Up Day.
For more information on the Kiwanis Club of Port Orchard, visit the club’s website at kiwanisclubofportorchard.org.