Indianola fire likely caused by heat lamp

Indianola fire likely caused by heat lamp

NKF&R: smoke alarms saved occupant’s life

Working smoke alarms are being credited for saving the life of an Indianola homeowner on Feb. 17, after a heat lamp dropped into a box of combustibles, igniting flames that claimed several baby chicks, as well as significant damage to the house, according to North Kitsap Fire & Rescue.

NKF&R, along with Poulsbo and Bainbridge Island fire departments responded to the residence on Loughrey Avenue at 9:42 p.m. Monday, after a woman inside called 911 to report being awakened by activated smoke alarms and finding flames in the home’s living room. At the time, the caller told dispatchers that she might not be able to get out as the fire was between her and the home’s exits.

NKF&R responded in less than seven minutes and found the woman safely outside the residence. Firefighters were able to contain the fire quickly and said the flames were easily snuffed because the blaze’s spread was held in check by the door, closed behind the woman as she exited, depriving the flames of oxygen.

Witness statements and evidence at the scene point to the home’s living room as the area of the fire’s origin and a heat lamp used to keep baby chicks warm was the likely ignition source. Deputy Fire Marshal Ken Rice of the Kitsap County Fire Marshal’s Office stated that the incident’s outcome would almost certainly have been tragic without working smoke alarms.

The woman was transported to a local hospital as a precaution and was released shortly after, according to the release. While the fire damage was mostly limited to the room of origin, heavy smoke and water damage affected most of the 1,900 square-foot structure.

The woman’s husband was not at home during the time of the fire. There were no other injuries reported to firefighters or civilians and the family was insured.

NKF&R firefighters will provide smoke alarms free of charge upon request. Call 360-297-3619 to schedule an installation. Firefighters also recommend making and practicing fire escape plans that include at least two different ways out of every room and one meeting place outside.

More in News

.
Loaded handgun in backpack brought to Mullenix Ridge Elementary by student

Initial KSCO investigation indicates student may have been given wrong backpack containing weapon

.
Get ready for some splashin’

McCormick Village Park’s splash pad opens May 28

.
SKSD superintendent responds to Texas school shooting

“Our hearts are heavy as we learn about the tragedy in Texas,” Superintendent Winter wrote to families

.
Modernizing Congress is select committee’s improbable mission

Are legislative bodies irretrievably broken? Kilmer’s committee seeks to repair the damage

Terry Delegeane takes over as Firehouse Theater owner July 1. Courtesy Photo
Kingston’s Firehouse Theater sold to ex-comic book writer, editor

Movie and meal nights, live theater, independent films possible

Dalla Baia co-owners Cecilio Tope (left) and Sandy Kolbeins (right). Tyler Shuey/North Kitsap Herald Photos
Dalla Baia opens in old That’s-A Some-Italian space

Co-owner Sandy Kolbeins also owns The Loft, Valholl Brewing

Aerial shot of the city-owned property on Iverson Street in Poulsbo. Public Works is in the midst of moving its operations from this site to its new location on Viking Avenue. Courtesy Photo
Poulsbo Council discuss options for city-owned property on Iverson

Public Works in process of moving to new site on Viking Ave.

.
No surprises as primary election filing week ends

Two to watch: Races for 26th District’s state Senate and District 3 Kitsap County commissioner

.
Graduating senior receives SK Community Pride Scholarship

Regina Obnial wins the fifth-year scholarship award from South Kitsap Properties

Most Read