A small shed caught fire in Kingston on Monday afternoon, but crews were able to quickly extinguish the blaze. (Photo courtesy of North Kitsap Fire & Rescue)

A small shed caught fire in Kingston on Monday afternoon, but crews were able to quickly extinguish the blaze. (Photo courtesy of North Kitsap Fire & Rescue)

House saved from shed blaze in Kingston; damaged battery sparks fire in Suquamish

KINGSTON — The quick actions of the homeowners and the response of the fire department kept a blaze in a small outbuilding on a property in Kingston from engulfing adjacent buildings last week.

A boiler’s compromised smokestack in a shed located on a property off Kingston View Courtcaused the structure to go up in smoke and flames on April 20. Family members used five fire extinguishers and a garden hose to keep the fire from spreading as crews from North Kitsap Fire & Rescue responded to the scene.

The NKF&R crew arrived in eight minutes and were able to quickly squelch the blaze.

After an investigation by the Kitsap County Fire Marshal’s Office, it is believed the fire was accidental and caused by a flaw in the boiler’s exhaust stack, which was inside the wooden shed and used to heat the water that supplies heat to the property’s main residence.

A small amount of smoke found its way into the main residence, but there was no significant damage.

In another fire incident on Sunday afternoon in Suquamish, a damaged battery that was charging threatened a home on Anheline Avenue, but a working smoke alarm, quick-thinking neighbors and a fast response saved it.

Along with NKF&R, the Poulsbo Fire Department and Bainbridge Island Fire Department were dispatched to the house just after 3 p.m. The first crew arrived in four minutes and found smoke coming from a single-car garage. The fire destroyed the shelves and some material in the southeast corner of the garage, but firefighters were able to stop the blaze quickly.

The resident was inside his home and called 911 after a neighbor heard the smoke alarm and knocked on his door. The homeowners explained that the battery had fallen into Puget Sound and he was attempting to restore the charge.

No firefighters or civilians were injured in either incident.

More in News

Volunteers get food ready at ShareNet. Courtesy photo
ShareNet seeks donations to pay for food year-round

ShareNet in Kingston always asks for donations the final three months of… Continue reading

Artist rendering of the Poulsbo Event and Recreation Center (Courtesy of Poulsbo Parks & Rec)
Poulsbo residents can determine future of PERC

Poulsbo wants to hear from residents via an online survey about what… Continue reading

Fishline fundraiser online, but you can still have lunch

Fishline Food Bank and Comprehensive Services in Poulsbo is having a virtual… Continue reading

a
SKSD copes with COVID-19

Teachers to transition to flex plan, but some teachers have concerns

.
Kitsap voters flooding Elections Division with returning ballots

Up to 90 percent of the county’s registered voters expected to vote

"Think big, start small, go slow," has become North Kitsap School Districts Mantra when it comes to bringing kids back to school.
NKSD startup: ‘Think big, start small, go slow’

North Kitsap School District hosted a virtual town hall Tuesday night in… Continue reading

a
Two South Kitsap felony suspects on the run

Duo is wanted for second-degree assault

Free flu vaccine for uninsured adults at selected pharmacies

Albertsons, Safeway join with state to provide vital vaccine

a
Mobile COVID-19 drive-through center opening Monday in Bremerton

Kitsap Public Health District says other mobile sites planned elsewhere in the county

Most Read