Fire damages home on Duryea Road in Bremerton

It started with “combustibles too close to the chimney,” an assistant fire marshal said.

A fire badly damaged a single-family home on Duryea Road in Bremerton last Friday, October 12.

Assistant fire marshal Tina Turner said Monday that the cause of the blaze was an “improperly installed wood stove” with “combustibles too close to the chimney.”

Central Kitsap Fire and Rescue received a report of a structure fire at 8:12 p.m.

The homeowners reported “they had started a fire in the fireplace approximately an hour prior,” Ileana LiMarzi, spokesperson for Central Kitsap Fire and Rescue, wrote in a statement.

On arrival, crews found fire coming from the attic of the two-story home. Both occupants and their cats were out safely.

Firefighters battled the flames using four water tenders for approximately 35 minutes, officials said, with “construction [making] it difficult to access the attic” both from inside the building and from the outside, CKFR reported.

Crews stayed on the scene throughout the night “extinguishing hot spots,” officials said.

Halloween decorations could be seen in photos on the two-story house, which suffered extensive damage. On social media, some expressed interest in a crowdfunding page to provide financial assistance to the affected family.

“We would like to help,” Laura Godden wrote.