Taken as firefighters sped to the scene, this photo shows heavy fire engulfing a sleeping cabin after a cell phone charging cord apparently sparked a blaze in the 12’ x 12’ wooden structure. (photo submitted by NKF&R)

Taken as firefighters sped to the scene, this photo shows heavy fire engulfing a sleeping cabin after a cell phone charging cord apparently sparked a blaze in the 12’ x 12’ wooden structure. (photo submitted by NKF&R)

Charging cable likely caused Kingston cabin fire

A Kingston teenager’s, two pet reptiles perished and most of his possessions were destroyed when a cell phone charging cord, left plugged in and on a bed, sparked a fire in the cabin where he had been sleeping on the morning of Feb. 5.

North Kitsap Fire & Rescue (NKF&R) crews responded to a reported shed fire off of Timber Lane in Kingston at 10:43 a.m. The crew found the 12’ x 12’ structure fully-engulfed in flames.

The crew had the fire under control within minutes, containing it to the shed and preventing its spread to adjacent areas which included vehicles parked nearby.

The 16-year-old occupant of the cabin told NKF&R crews that about 15 minutes prior to discovering the fire, he’d left the cabin to go into the main home for a shower. When he returned, he found black smoke coming from the wood structure and attempted to extinguish the blaze himself but ultimately called 911 to report the fire.

An investigator from the Kitsap County Fire Marshal’s Office eventually responded to the scene and based on witness statements and physical evidence believes that the fire likely started with a cell phone charging cord that had been left on the cabin’s bed and was plugged into an extension cord.

It is believed that the charging cord may have been damaged prior to the start of the fire.

Firefighters stress the importance of ensuring that all cords are in good working condition and that use of damaged cords greatly increases the risk for fires. It is also recommended to not leave any electronic equipment, such as cell phones, tablets, and laptops or their charging cords, on a bed or other soft surface. The risk of fire increases because the soft surfaces prevent heat from the electronics from dissipating and provides readily-combustible fuel to feed flames.

The teen’s father wrote in a Facebook post, “Almost all the teens I know have had their phone charging on their bed at some point – don’t do it! If this had happened an hour or two earlier while he was sleeping, things could have been much worse.”

There were no injuries to firefighters or civilians in the incident according to NKF&R.

More in News

26th District lawmakers tout sponsored bills in Olympia

Randall’s Medicaid extension bill passes Senate unanimously; House GOP calls for $30 car tabs

And the top-rated water source is …

Port Orchard City Council conducts own H 2 O taste test

Is Port Orchard ‘safe’? It depends on who you ask

National Council for Home Safety and Security says city ranks low in study; police chief has doubts

Dr. Berit Madsen, Dr. Faroush Abar, Dr. Jennie Crews, Poulsbo Mayor Becky Erickson, Miss Poulsbo Minako Todd and SCCA Vice President Aaron Crane pose for a photo during a ribbon cutting ceremony for the SCCA’s recently expanded clinic in Poulsbo. Ken Park / Kitsap News Group.
                                Dr. Berit Madsen, Dr. Faroush Abar, Dr. Jennie Crews, Poulsbo Mayor Becky Erickson, Miss Poulsbo Minako Todd and SCCA Vice President Aaron Crane pose for a photo during a ribbon cutting ceremony for the SCCA’s recently expanded clinic in Poulsbo. Ken Park / Kitsap News Group.
Seattle Cancer Care Alliance celebrates expansion of Poulsbo clinic

Seattle Cancer Care Alliance celebrated the expansion of its Poulsbo oncology clinic… Continue reading

Crash reported at SR 305 and Viking Avenue in Poulsbo

Emergency were called to a multiple vehicle collision at the intersection of… Continue reading

County approves annexation of 93 parcels of property for CKF&R

Senate Bill 5010 allows CKF&R to annex parcels within the fire district’s boundaries

‘Pipe bomb’ prompts residential evacuation in Poulsbo

A Department of Corrections visit to a Poulsbo home Monday evening resulted… Continue reading

Shelter in place warning lifted for Newberry Hill gas leak

CKF&R: gas leak occurred when an excavator struck a one-inch gas line

Bremerton WestSound Symphony gets family-friendly with ‘Fairy Tales & Legends’

Half-priced tickets are available for youth ages 18 and younger

Most Read