BI man dies as food on stove causes fatal blaze

A man died in a house fire on Sunrise Drive near Torvanger Road June 29, the Bainbridge Island Fire Department reported Thursday on its Facebook page.

The cause of the fire was determined to be unintentional as it started from food on a stove.

Firefighters arrived shortly after 12:17 p.m. when they discovered heavy smoke and fire. After searching the home responders found a man who died at the scene.

Additional units from North Kitsap Fire & Rescue and the Poulsbo Fire Department assisted.

BIFD Fire Chief Jared Moravec said, “the house was damaged throughout with the most severe damage in the kitchen and attic space. Damage is estimated to the home and contents at $475,000.”