Arrest finally made in Kingston man’s death

  • Thursday, January 28, 2021 10:33am
  • News
"Some of the anger I have inside, which is quite a bit, has been lifted," Lisa Ledbetter, Dustyn's mother, said about Snohomish County's decision to charge Charles Heller in the killing of her son.

For nearly two years, friends and family of Dustyn Hunt-Bagby of Kingston have wondered whether his alleged killer will face prosecution. They finally have an answer.

Charles Frederick Heller III, 49, was charged Monday in Snohomish County Superior Court with second-degree murder.

No one is happier about it than Hunt-Bagby’s mother, Lisa Ledbetter.

“Me and my family have been waiting and waiting for some kind of justice and the longer we waited, a little faith and hope was lost every day. I started to lose any type of hope for justice. I felt like it was slowly being forgotten about and brushed aside,” she wrote in an email to the Herald.

Ledbetter is still saddened, looking to the future.

“I know no matter what, nothing will bring my son back or take away from the everyday pain of knowing I will never see him again. He will never get married, have kids, have a career, come to family dinners, meet his new little sister, but this decision does make the pain a little easier to handle knowing justice will be served to the man who did this, and his life will be uncomfortable and he will not just be walking around like nothing happened,” she wrote.

Finally, she said she’s not as angry, knowing that there finally will be justice for Dustyn.

“It also has made it so I can breathe a bit better. Some of the anger I have inside, which is quite a bit, has been lifted,” she wrote.

What happened?

When sheriff’s deputies responded to Heller’s home in the Silver Lake area just outside Everett on Feb. 25, 2019, they were confronted with conflicting stories but two consistent facts: Charles Heller pulled the trigger, and Hunt-Bagby died from a gunshot wound to the chest.

Heller claims he fired the gun in self-defense, saying he was afraid Hunt-Bagby was going to choke him, charging documents say. His daughter, 20-year-old Lauryn Heller, argued that Hunt-Bagby didn’t attack in any way.

Hunt-Bagby, 21, a musician who went by the name PrettyBoi Nabii, had been dating Lauryn for a few weeks. The night he died, they were having wine and watching movies in her room.

Her parents could hear them laughing and talking. They had a rule that she could have company over, but no one could spend the night. They told detectives they didn’t like the people she brought over and considered kicking her out of the house.

Heller and his wife reported they left the house to have dinner. When they got back around 8 p.m., they could still hear that someone was with their daughter. Heller told a detective that he didn’t feel threatened by whoever was at his house, only that he wanted him out.

Around 10 p.m., Heller sent his daughter a text, saying everyone needed to be out by 10:30 p.m. He grabbed a loaded handgun and put it on the coffee table in front of him, his wife told detectives.

When no one left at 10:30, Heller knocked on his daughter’s door and reminded her company needed to leave.

Lauryn figured she’d try to trick her father. She’d done it before. She left the house by herself, turning off the light behind her, while Hunt-Bagby hid under the bed.

Her parents said that made them more concerned, since they knew someone was over. Heller went up to search the room, armed with the handgun. He told a detective it was “better to be safe than sorry,” though he reportedly acknowledged he had never armed himself when he searched his daughter’s room before.

A detective asked him what was different this time. “Something didn’t feel right about the situation,” he said, charging papers say. “When she walked out by herself and me knowing that someone was still in there, something didn’t feel right.”

He searched the room two times. The second time, he looked under the bed, to find Hunt-Bagby wearing only underwear and an undershirt.

When she was outside, Lauryn told detectives, she saw the light turn on, then off. Then it turned on again. Thirty seconds passed. She heard her father yelling.

She ran back up and saw her father and Hunt-Bagby across the bed from each other. He yelled at Hunt-Bagby to get dressed and get out. The young man appeared to be complying, Heller later told a detective.

Lauryn recounted her story in a video posted on YouTube.

“I saw my dad standing there with a gun, and I jumped in front of him,” she said in the video, “because I thought if he saw me, maybe he’d put it down and stop.”

According to Lauryn, her father’s finger was on the trigger.

“This point was important to Lauryn and played a large role in her fear because her father, formerly in the military, has training in handling firearms and had taught her that you do not put your finger on the trigger unless you are prepared to shoot,” deputy prosecutor Bob Langbehn wrote in charging papers.

Choke try?

According to both the father and daughter, Hunt-Bagby reached out. Heller reported he thought Hunt-Bagby was trying to choke him. Lauryn said he was only trying to move the gun away so it was no longer pointing at them.

The three of them fell to the bed during a short scuffle. Heller reported he stood up, aimed at Hunt-Bagby’s shoulder, and fired.

“He admitted that he never thought about punching the victim or hitting him with the gun, and that the shooting was entirely intentional (rather than the gun accidentally going off) because, according to him, he was afraid the victim was trying to choke him,” Langbehn wrote.

Lauryn called 9-1-1. She was frantic. Someone was shot, she said. Someone needed to show up “immediately.”

The second call came from Heller’s wife. She was calm. “Yeah, I need the police at our house. We have someone at our house we don’t want,” she reportedly said.

When deputies arrived, Lauryn was on the front porch, hysterical, according to charging documents. “My dad shot him,” she told deputies.

Heller was inside, applying pressure to Hunt-Bagby’s wound. He was no longer breathing. Deputies attempted to revive him, but couldn’t.

According to Lauryn, the only thing Hunt-Bagby said before dying was, “I’ve been shot.”

A Sig Sauer semi-automatic handgun was on the kitchen table. On the floor in a bedroom was an ammunition clip with one bullet missing. The medical examiner retrieved a bullet from Hunt-Bagby’s back that matched those found in the clip.

Heller wasn’t arrested that night. The investigation was held up for a year and a half as the sheriff’s office waited for evidence to be processed by the Washington State Patrol Crime Lab. Heller remains free pending trial.

In the meantime, friends and family said they felt the death of Hunt-Bagby had been swept under the rug. They held a demonstration outside the Snohomish County Courthouse. They started a Facebook page called “Justice for Dustyn Coalition,” where they shared pictures of Hunt-Bagby and his music. But the group could provide few updates on the case because for a long time there were none.

More in News

Bremerton’s St. Michael Medical Center temporarily closing ER

Emergency services halted at 7 p.m. Friday due to staff shortage

Back to school vaccination event.
Back to School Poulsbo vaccine event July 31

North Point Church and Peninsula Community Health Services have partnered to host… Continue reading

2021 Fathoms royalty get their crowns

Pandemic uncertainties couldn’t dissuade Royalty Court

Long-awaited modernization project at Manchester Fuel Depot finally started

Work on nearly $200 million project to take nine years to complete

‘The entire west is burning’

With a worst-ever wildfire season feared this year, here’s what residents should know to keep safe

West Sound Film Festival is back for its fifth year

Meet three filmmakers being showcased at the festival this August

50 new COVID cases confirmed in Kitsap since Monday

County back above ‘high level’ of coronavirus activity

The brick flooring and wood paneling is original to the Olympic Hotel now called Hotel Scandi. Ken Park/North Kitsap Herald photos
Hotel to open in downtown Poulsbo

While an official opening date is still in the works, soon visitors… Continue reading

The Suquamish Tribe laid to rest former Suquamish Tribal Chairman Richard Belmont Jr. on what would have been his 82nd birthday on July 24.
Former Suquamish Tribal Chairman laid to rest

Former chairman of the Suquamish Tribe Richard Belmont Jr., who played a… Continue reading

Most Read