KITSAP COUNTY — An overabundance of cyanobacteria in Kitsap and Long Lakes prompted the Kitsap Public Health District to issue a warning that visitors to the lakes should avoid all contact with the water.
Contact with the characteristic blue-green algae associated with toxic cyanobacteria can make people sick, kill pets, fish, waterfowl and livestock the county said in a July 10 press release. As such the public is urged to:
- Avoid all contact with the water until further notice, meaning no swimming, wading or types of water play where water could be swallowed or get in the mouth nose or eyes (especially in locations where the algae is concentrated).
- Avoid ingesting water in or flowing from the lakes. Residents who draw drinking water from the lake are encouraged to use bottled water until further notice.
- Limit access of pets and livestock to the lake.
- Avoid consuming fish caught during the algae bloom.
- Rinse boats and trailers thoroughly before going to another lake.
The county said that no illnesses have yet been reported. Warning signs have been posted at public-access areas and roadsides surrounding Kitsap and Long Lakes.
Residents living near the lakes and visitors are encouraged to be on the lookout for blue-green algae blooms and contact Kitsap Public Health at 360-728-2235 when they are found.