A blaze in Hansville claimed a large chicken coop along with an estimated 30 chickens on Saturday afternoon, officials with North Kitsap Fire & Rescue said.
The fire was thought to have been started by heat lamps or a failure in a series of cords used to power the lamps in the coop.
At around 2 p.m., crews were alerted when a neighbor spotted flames coming from the property. When responders from NKF&R’s Hansville station arrived — about 10 minutes later — the fire engulfing the coop had begun to catch nearby trees aflame as well. Due to the lack of a fire hydrant near the property, crews had to utilize the 750-gallon water tank on board most NKF&R fire engines.
An adult male at the property told crews that two heat lamps had been on inside the chicken coop. The lamps were plugged into a power strip, which in turn was connected to an extension cord. Firefighters say heat lamps have played a role in multiple fire incidents around Kitsap County this year. Additionally, officials said extension cords are an even more common ignition source and should only be used for temporary power.
No damage to the home was reported.