Yelm (2-1) at South Kitsap (1-2)
• Time: 7 tonight @ Kitsap Bank Stadium
• Yelm Coach: Jason Ronquillo, third year
• League Affiliation: Class 4A Narrows League
• Offensive formation: Multiple
• Defensive formation: 3-3
• Last year’s record: 4-6
• 2014 playoff results: Yelm did not qualify for the playoffs.
• Key returners: LB Bo Campbell, 5-10, 195, sr.; DB Peter Finley, 6-0, 185, sr.; TE Joey Hawks, 6-3, 200, jr.; DL Gabe Krizan, 6-2, 250, sr.; WR Kaleb Lunderville, 6-2, 185, jr.; QB Daylon Matthews, 6-2, 185, sr.; K Vernon Parker, 6-0, 200, sr.; LB Deonte Payne, 5-10, 185, jr.; DB Devante Pearson, 6-2, 190, sr.; OL Tim Piland, 6-0, 210, sr.; RB Brandon Thompson, 5-9, 180, jr.
• South Kitsap vs. Yelm: South leads the series 3-0.
• Last meeting with Yelm: South won 20-19 last season.
• Last week: Yelm lost 35-21 against Timberline.
• Overview: The Tornados return plenty on offense and it has shown early as they have averaged 35.3 points per game this season. It all starts with Thompson, who rushed for 163 yards and two touchdowns through the team’s first two games. The speedy Thompson also is a threat in the receiving game and as a returner, where he took a kickoff back for a touchdown last year against South before a penalty negated the score. But unlike previous years, opponents cannot simply focus on Yelm’s running game. That is because Matthews has some reliable receiving targets, particularly Lunderville, who had 199 yards and four touchdowns on 12 receptions during the first two weeks. Last season, Cooper Canton rolled out on fourth-and-goal at Yelm’s 10-yard line as time expired and found freshman receiver Dustin Garcia open in the right corner of the end zone for a touchdown that propelled the Wolves to a 20-19 win. The Tornados have not advanced to state since 1987.
— Compiled by Sports Editor Chris Chancellor