Woodstove ashes spark Monday night blaze

Avoid similar incidents with safe disposal of ashes

North Kitsap Fire & Rescue encourages the public to properly dispose of woodstove and fireplace ashes following a small enclosure fire in Kingston Monday night.

Improperly-discarded woodstove ashes are thought to have sparked the late-night fire that attracted lots of attention in a North Kitsap neighborhood and drew a large fire response.

NKF&R along with Bainbridge Island Fire Department and Poulsbo Fire Department crews were originally called at 11:31 p.m. to respond to a commercial structure fire off of Foxglove Lane after a friend of the property owner called 911.

NKF&R arrived on scene in a little over 11 minutes due to being slowed by narrow, steep and slippery roads leading to the incident location.

Firefighting efforts were also hampered due to access issues. Fire tender trucks were too big to make it down the driveway and there weren’t any nearby fire hydrants creating water supply issues. Crews used the water aboard two engines (about 1,500 gallons) to handle the blaze.

Fortunately, the fire destroyed only a small enclosure used to store trash and resulted in no injuries to firefighters or civilians.

Firefighters were able to confirm that the fire was much smaller than initially reported and canceled most of the other units still en route.

An investigator from the Kitsap County Fire Marshal’s Office responded to the scene and found that there was no electrical power to the enclosure. The homeowner told the investigator that he’d disposed of woodstove ashes in the enclosure earlier that afternoon. Based on that and other witness statements as well as physical evidence, the investigator believes that the fire was sparked by the discarded ashes and coals.

According to a press release from NKF&R even when cool to the touch, ashes and coals — from fireplaces, woodstoves, barbecues, etc. — can retain enough heat in their cores to ignite combustibles under the right conditions.

Officials recommend that ashes be placed into a water-filled, metal can with a tight-fitting lid and away from anything that can burn.

More in News

Poulsbo secures first phase of funding for PERC

$244,000 awarded to Poulsbo by Kitsap Public Facilities District for event and recreation center

Olympic High School cheer coach charged with sexual misconduct

25-year-old Tyson A. Ebert has been suspended without pay by CKSD

Poulsbo Lighted Ships Parade celebrates 50 Years

The City of Poulsbo and Mayor Becky Erickson have declared Dec. 14,… Continue reading

Senator Christine Rolfes speaks with Kitsap County residents in Kingston ahead of the 2020 legislative session. Nick Twietmeyer / Kitsap News Group
Rolfes talks transportation funding in the wake of I-976

On Dec. 2, Senator Christine Rolfes of Washington’s 23rd Legislative District met… Continue reading

Vikings await the Lucia Bride’s lighting of the Julefest bonfire at Muriel Iverson Williams Waterfront Park. File photo
Poulsbo holiday tradition returns Saturday

While for many, Thanksgiving is the mark of the start of the… Continue reading

Bremerton Councilmember Leslie Daugs announces run for legislature

Rep. Sherry Appleton recently announced her plans for retirement at the end of her term in 2021

<em>Seattle Cancer Care Alliance Peninsula is at 19917 Seventh Ave. in Poulsbo.</em>
                                Photo courtesy of SCCA
Seattle Cancer Care Alliance expanding services in Poulsbo

Seattle Cancer Care Alliance is expanding its services and care options at… Continue reading

Bay Street to go ‘full Santa’ on Saturday

Festival of Chimes and Lights takes its 21st bow

Photo courtesy of Patty Pace
                                These students from Patty Pace’s second-grade class last year at South Colby Elementary gathered in a circle to exhibit the true meaning of kindness and how it spreads in an interconnected way.
Rocks, water and the ripples

Second-graders learn how kindness can spread like ripples in the water

Most Read