Thief wears clothes with tags still on them

If you’re going to steal something you should probably take off the security tags.

A 32-year-old Port Orchard man was in Kitsap County Superior Court Jan. 19 charged with 1st degree theft and 2nd degree burglary.

The theft occurred Jan. 18 when four hats worth $40 each were taken from the Seattle Team Shop in Silverdale. Two pairs of shoes worth $104 each were taken from the nearby Famous Footwear. When captured, the man was wearing many other items that still had security tags attached. He also had gift cards totaling $8,275. He faces 10 years in prison and a $20,000 fine on that charge. But that’s not all.

He was also charged in the burglary of a $60 pair of acid-washed vintage jeans from Ish Vintage in Port Orchard Nov. 24, 2022. A window to the business was smashed and a rock found inside. If convicted of that charge he faces a maximum $50,000 fine. Bail was set at $50,000 for each crime.

In another court case that day, a 35-year-old man was charged with 2nd-degree assault and residential burglary. If convicted maximum penalty is 20 years in prison and $40,000 in fines. Bail was set at $150,000.

The crime occurred Jan. 17 at the Quality Inn on Kitsap Way. The female victim said she knew her attacker, who held a small folding knife to her neck and demanded drugs. She said she didn’t have any, and he released her, but stayed in her room anyway for hours.

She then drove him to a Corbet Avenue location, where he loaded several items into her car. They drove back to the motel, and she said she would not help him unload items into her room. She drove away and asked a maintenance worker to call 911. Police later said about $1,000 in tools had been stolen.

In a third case that day a 28-year-old man was charged with second-degree assault and domestic violence with bail set at $100,000. The victim said she had been attacked by her ex-boyfriend and was being treated at Harborview Medical Center in Seattle.

On Jan. 14 at 2:30 a.m., probable cause papers say she was in her Bremerton apartment. The man brought their 3-month-old son home, and they argued before he hit her. She said he then grabbed her neck and threw her to the ground. He then punched her in the trachea with such force that she fell to the ground and could not breathe.

She said the suspect is a convicted felon. A firearm was found in the car he had been driving. He was later arrested at his workplace and taken to the county jail.