SILVERDALE — The Central Kitsap Reporter received this letter from Patricia Ryan of Bremerton:
Mark Krulish wrote a pretty interesting piece on what it takes to put on the great Duck Race (“‘Big deal’ raises $70K-plus for local causes,” page A6, Aug. 4 Central Kitsap Reporter).
You had a picture of the penned ducks in utero and traveling down the birth canal; one of an unidentified midwife holding up the first-to-arrive duckling, freshly hatched from its watery birth; and a great quote by Scott Weininger of the club: “It takes a year of planning for a one-day event. It’s a big deal in the community.”
You bet it is! At five bucks a ticket, you can believe a lot of people are interested in the outcome. So, why no word on who won? Where’s the picture and interview of the ecstatic new parent, whose life has just changed for the better with a brand new truckling? Where was the satisfaction for the Nissan agency that supplied the bundle of joy?
I suppose you’re afraid of too much news overwhelming your readers, and are saving the birth announcement for your next eagerly awaited edition.
One, Patricia, if we had a prize for Best Letter to the Editor, it would be yours.
Two, we tracked down the Duck Race results. Terri Callantine of Tracyton is the 2017 Silverdale Rotary Duck Race grand prize winner and proud owner of an Advantage Nissan Frontier Pickup Truck (or $16,000 cash). We’ve posted the list of 67 winners.
And here’s the list of 2017 Silverdale Whaling Days Parade Winners.
Grand Marshal Award: Haselwood YMCA Cheer Squad.
Judges Choice: Submarine Vets, Bangor Base.
King Lion Award: Kitsap Destruction Derby.
Kiwanis Award: Orman Lange Viking Ship.
- First: Glass Odyssey Corvette Club.
- Second: Westsound Military Vehicle Collectors Club.
- Third : Friends of Newberry Hill Park.
- First: Miss Poulsbo, Kitsap, Silverdale.
- Second: Miss West Sound Scholarship.
- Third: America’s Majestic Miss 2017.
- First: Miss Rodeo Washington 2017.
- Second: Kitsap Saddle Club.
- Third: Kitsap Lady Trailriders.
- First: Orman Lange Viking Ship.
- Second: VFW/BSA 1539.
- Third: Submarine Vets, Bangor Base.
- First: Feng Shiang Dance Troupe.
- Second: CK Unicycle Team.
- Third: Cub Scouts Pack 4554.
- First: All-Star Drumline.
- Second: Blackwood Backbeats Sr. Drumline.
- Third: Blackwood Backbeats Jr. Drumline.
- First: Master Gardener Foundation.
- Second: Westsound Ukulele Festival.
- Third: Great Clips.
- First: Thacker Heavy Haul.
- Second: Cooper Fuel.
- Third: Kitsap Mobile Grooming.