Pumas draw with Timbers in home opener

Going into Saturday's game, Kitsap was 1-2-2, the team's only win coming on May 18 against Washington Crossfire.

Going into Saturday’s game, Kitsap was 1-2-2, the team’s only win coming on May 18 against Washington Crossfire.

Things started off fairly evenly in the first half, with neither team appearing to control a large majority of ball possession.

The first real chance of the game came about halfway into the first half on a Pumas foray into the offensive third. The ball fell at the feet of a Pumas player just past the penalty spot.

From his position inside the box only the goal-keeper stood in his way, but he failed to test Timbers’ keeper David Meves as the shot skipped wide to the left.

The Timbers answered back a few minutes later with an opportunity of their own. Midfielder Jose Ribas received the ball in from the edge of the box and had what appeared to be a sure goal — but he put more power than accuracy into his shot and it sailed just left of the goal.

Both teams, missing their opportunities wide left, went into the half scoreless.

There was a scary moment for both teams when two players collided heads going up for the ball. The Timbers’ player appeared to momentarily lose consciousness, but was able after several minutes to leave the field on his own feet. He would not return to the game.

The electricity in the stadium and on the field seemed to pick up late in the second half as players as fans looked for a break in the draw.

It looked as though the Pumas might pull ahead late in the game when Will Daniels blew past the Timbers’ left defender. Daniels forced Meves to come out of his goal and miss a dive for the ball.

With nothing but the goal in front of him, Daniels was stopped on a questionable play by a Timbers defender, who forced Daniels off the ball in the box.

Pumas fans roared their disapproval, calling for a penalty kick but the referee refused to blow his whistle.

The Pumas would continue to push aggressively, but would not get as good of a chance again. The game ended in a 0-0 draw.

The Timbers (4-0-1) retained first place in the Northwest Division with 13 points following the draw. Their next match will take place Wednesday, June 5 in Redmond against Washington Crossfire.

The Pumas (1-2-3) sit in fourth place with six points. After starting the first five games of the season on the road, the Pumas will play their next two games at home.

They will play their next game Saturday, June 8, at Gordon Field against the Vancouver Whitecaps PDL team.