Man displaced after mobile home fire in NK

A man escaped injury despite waking to find smoke filling his home early New Year’s Eve in North Kitsap.

The cause of the fire, which displaced the man and destroyed many of his possessions, is thought to be accidental, a North Kitsap Fire & Rescue news release says.

NKF&R and Poulsbo fire crews were called to the Fox Glove Lane residence at 3:14 a.m. The first firefighters arrived in just under eight minutes and reported flames visible from a single-wide mobile home with an attached wood-framed structure. With no fire hydrants nearby, crews used water tender trucks.

The man said he awoke to smoke and began to search for the source but safely escaped after finding his living room on fire. The residence and its contents were not insured. Firefighters contacted the man’s family, who will be working with the Red Cross to find longer-term solutions.

The older mobile home had smoke alarms that apparently did not activate. The man estimated the age of the alarms at about 40 years. Officials recommend they be replaced every 10 years.

Kitsap County Fire Marshal’s Office officials said based on witness statements and evidence the fire likely started when a broiler generated enough heat to ignite nearby combustibles.

Firefighters spent several hours checking for hot spots and removing salvageable belongings, the release states. Officials say that the construction of mobile homes leads them to burn fast and hot, frequently resulting in complete destruction.

Bainbridge Island and Central Kitsap Fire & Rescue also responded.