House fire caused by lit candle; displaces five

PORT ORCHARD — Five adults were displaced from their home early July 16 after a fire started from a candle.

At 4:22 a.m. July 16, South Kitsap Fire and Rescue were alerted to a fire alarm in the 14000 block of Joy Lane SW. Units arrived at the scene by 4:39 a.m.

According to the incident report, they “arrived on the scene of a single-story medium manufactured home with smoke and flames showing in a Delta side window. Resident was applying water from a garden hose through the bedroom window from the exterior.”

The report goes on to say that the resident assured SKFR all residents were out of the house. SKFR personnel “completed a 360 with nothing remarkable noted,” and then “knocked down the majority of the fire from the exterior.”

After checking inside the home, no extension was reported, and the fire was considered put out. All units were cleared from the scene by 6:45 a.m.

The Kitsap County Fire Marshal determined the cause of the fire was a candle on top of a dresser, and that it was unintentional. The fire damage was confined to the bedroom of origin, with smoke damage throughout. The report estimates property loss at $50,000, and content loss at an additional $10,000.

The family was assisted by a chaplain, who put them in touch with Red Cross after learning they had no alternative housing available, according to the SKFR report.

No injuries were reported in the SKFR report.

Michelle Beahm is the online editor for the Kitsap News Group. She can be reached at mbeahm@soundpublishing.com.

More in News

.
4 more COVID-related deaths confirmed in Kitsap, 251 total

182 new cases also confirmed since Monday

.
Locals weigh in on county’s new homeless facility on Mile Hill Drive

Kitsap County officials say that facility residents will be counseled and accounted for

NKF&R firefighters Michael Foreman, left, and Harry Hause extinguish stubborn hot spots after a Tuesday afternoon trailer fire in Suquamish. Courtesy Photo
Suquamish man loses possessions in trailer fire

A damaged cord is thought to have sparked a travel trailer fire… Continue reading

.
Port Orchard Police Department achieves accreditation status

Port Orchard agency joins other Kitsap law enforcement organizations in becoming accredited

.
It’s downright despicable

Two miniature Christmas trees on Bay Street stolen from their planters

.
Festival of Chimes and Lights to wipe away the winter’s gloom

Drive along Bay Street to see the twinkle of downtown Port Orchard

.
SKSD is accepting referrals for Highly Capable Program

Referrals will be accepted from Dec. 3 through Jan. 21

.
115 new COVID cases confirmed in Kitsap over long Holiday weekend

Over last week, case rate per 100,000 has dropped to 83

Most Read