CENTRAL KITSAP – Four puppies are safe after a Central Kitsap Fire and Rescue crew carried them from a residential structure fire in the 1200 block of Camp Sundown Road NW Sept. 15.
A neighbor saw smoke coming from the structure around 3:41 p.m. and called 911.
Upon arrival, crews discovered fire on the first and second floors of the single family residence with possible extension into the attic. There was no one inside the home, but four puppies were located and brought outside where they were administered oxygen. The puppies were in satisfactory condition afterward, CKFR stated. There were four additional dogs already outside.
The fire was extinguished but the home suffered heavy fire and smoke damage. The Kitsap County Fire Marshal will investigate the cause of the blaze and Red Cross was called to assist the four occupants of the home as well as the eight dogs.
Crews from North Mason Fire and Bremerton Fire also responded.
CKFR reminds Kitsap residents that smoke alarms save lives, and advises them to make sure they have working smoke alarms in their homes. Residents should also make a home fire escape plan. CKFR said residents should test alarms monthly and replace alarm batteries twice a year if they don’t have units with a ten-year lithium battery.