Fatality in South Kitsap fire determined accidental

Victim’s heating pad found to have caused recliner fire

PORT ORCHARD — Fire investigators reported Friday that a smoldering chair fire in a South Kitsap home yesterday that claimed the life of Karen Williamson, 71, was accidental.

Kitsap County Fire Marshal’s office issued a report that concluded the fire at the 3800 block of Locker Road Southeast was caused when a heating pad ignited a smoldering fire in a recliner in Williamson’s home. She is believed to be the owner of the home and was the sole occupant inside at the time of the fire.

According to Fire Marshal David Lynam, the fire was limited to the area immediately around the recliner. Smoke damage throughout the house, however, was extensive.

“Smoke alarms were installed and sounding in the house at the time of the fire,” Lynam said. “We don’t know why she was not able to escape.”

Sheriff’s Office spokesman Scott Wilson said yesterday that Williamson was found by a relative who had gone to the residence to check on her welfare. The deceased woman was discovered face-down with her favorite reclining chair smoldering and the house filled with smoke.

Wilson said the woman was known to have been a heavy smoker. The male relative who had a key to the home entered the residence and attempted to pull her out of the smoke-filled living room, but she was too heavy to extract from the scene.

Sheriff’s deputies, who were first to arrive, also attempted to move her out of the house. The woman was pronounced dead at the scene by South Kitsap Fire and Rescue responders who arrived a little later.

More in News

Port of Bremerton plans to modernize Airport Diner

Owners Tom and Kathy Dacy have decided to discontinue their business after the remodel

Kingston fast ferry sailings canceled for the rest of Friday and all of Saturday

Backup vessel Melissa Ann has been taken out of service for emergency repairs

Kilmer’s Save Our Sound Act passes House committee

Bill would establish a Puget Sound recovery program office to coordinate restoration efforts

<em>‘Marine Supply’ is now prominently featured on the gable end of Longship Marine’s new building.		 </em>Nick Twietmeyer/Kitsap News Group
The tide rises again for Longship Marine

It’s fair winds and following seas once again for Poulsbo’s Longship Marine… Continue reading

Poulsbo brothers raise money for Mary Bridge Children’s Hospital

There is a lot of news out there about kids and lemonade… Continue reading

Show your Wolves flag!

Flying the SK flag is becoming a community ‘thing’

Photo by Jana Mackin
                                Shawn Danubio, general manager of Whiskey Gulch, stands under a banner that calls social media attention to their movement to stop the city’s possible eminent domain action against the business.
                                Shawn Danubio, general manager of Whiskey Gulch, stands under a banner that calls social media attention to their movement to stop the city’s possible eminent domain action against the business. (Photo by Jana Mackin)
Pedestrian pathway project is hitting a bumpy stretch at Annapolis

Columnist Jana Mackin finds dissatisfaction with city’s process

Kitsap Rescue Mission overnight shelter to close Oct. 13

Shelter’s temporary permit set to expire amid fire safety concerns; staff seeking new location

CHI Franciscan breaks ground on new Bremerton clinic

26,000 square-foot facility will provide comprehensive primary, specialty, and urgent care services

Most Read