Dog warns pair of fire since alarms weren’t working

Biscuit, a 4-year-old poodle and hound mix, is being credited with alerting a mom and son to a fire early Feb. 1.

The smoke alarms closest to the fire had been removed, a North Kitsap Fire & Rescue news release says.

Damage to the small home’s living room was held in check by firefighters quick response after a chimney fire spread to adjacent walls and ceiling areas.

Brockton Avenue and Prospect Street in Suquamish were blocked for over an hour while crews worked.

NKF&R, Poulsbo and Bainbridge Island fire department crews were called at 5:19 a.m. The first unit arrived from the Suquamish fire station seven minutes later and found smoke coming from the 1,100 square-foot single-story home’s eaves.

Although the fire was hidden in spaces over the living room ceiling, firefighters were able to stop its progress by pulling down sheetrock and insulation overhead to expose and cool those areas as well as areas in the nearby walls. Smoke, fire and fire suppression damage was contained to the living room.

The homeowner told firefighters she’d been sleeping on the couch when her dog nudged her awake. It was then that she smelled smoke. She woke her son and, after a brief attempt to stop the fire, got crews on the way with a 911 call. The woodstove and chimney were installed just two weeks ago, the homeowner said.

Firefighters say the family and pets are fortunate to have escaped. Three out of five fire deaths occur in homes without working smoke alarms. NKF&R firefighters assist residents with alarm installation and maintenance upon request. To get help with smoke alarms, call 360-297-3619.