The following cases were filed in Kitsap County District Court:
Alleged stoner busted for DUI
A 24-year-old Port Orchard man was charged with DUI after he came within five feet of crashing his car into a Bremerton Police Department vehicle on East Phinney Bay Drive in Bremerton Feb. 2.
“In order to prevent a collision, I had to immediately stop my patrol car while the vehicle veered back into its own lane,” the officer wrote. The officer pulled the man over. The driver had a blank stare on his face.
“I asked the driver if he realized he just nearly collided with me when turning onto Rocky Point Road. The driver claimed my headlights were too bright.”
A marijuana pipe, lighter, an open can of Rainier beer and two boxes of beer were seen inside the man’s vehicle. The man had a BAC of .14 and was arrested.
The man “was very honest and seemed to understand his mistake of driving intoxicated … (he) did admit he drank approximately five beers and smoked marijuana throughout the day.”
• A 28-year-old Bremerton man was charged with forgery. He allegedly tried to cash a fraudulent $135 check at Bank of America. He was arrested and bail was set at $75,000.
• A 66-year-old Bremerton man was charged with DUI. A Washington State Patrol trooper allegedly observed the man driving his Chevrolet Silverado pickup truck 41mph in a 30mph zone on State Route 303 at 1:54 a.m. Feb. 2 and pulled him over. The trooper told the man he was being pulled over for speeding, but immediately smelled intoxicants coming from inside the truck. The man told the trooper he was coming from a casino, which had stopped serving alcohol hours ago. The man had a BAC of .109. He said he had three beers.
• A 45-year-old Bremerton man was charged with unlawful possession of a firearm in the second degree. The man, who has previous felony convictions for possession of a controlled substance, attempted burglary and attempted robbery, had apparently acquired a silver Lorcin L25 handgun with a pearl handle, a Western Field M550 12-guage pump-action shotgun and ammunition. The officer obtained a search warrant Feb. 3 and recovered the weapons. The pistol had been reported as stolen from Pierce County in 1999. Bail was set at $100,000.
• A 25-year-old Bremerton man was charged with arson in the first degree. The man allegedly started a structure fire at a residence on McKenzie Avenue in Bremerton around 9 p.m. Jan. 30. He allegedly used oil from a basement heating system to start the fire. Then he left the residence. Damage to the home was estimated at $10,000 to $15,000. Bail was set at $100,000.
• A 27-year-old Silverdale man was charged with delivery of a controlled substance. The man allegedly sold drugs out of his Toyota Highlander SUV at various locations in Silverdale.
• A 33-year-old transient was charged with possession of methamphetamine. A Bremerton officer saw the man on Chester Avenue and told him he had a warrant. The man ran off carrying a backpack and tried to jump a fence, but was unable to clear it and he was arrested. A bag of meth was found at the scene.