Couple displaced after NK trailer fire

2 dogs die, 2 rescued

A couple lost two dogs, a 5th-wheel trailer and many possessions in a fire March 30.

The cause is thought to be accidental, per a North Kitsap Fire & Rescue news release. Two dogs were rescued and receiving care at a local veterinary clinic, but two others died inside the trailer.

NKF&R crews were called to Miller Bay and West Kingston roads. The first firefighters arrived in just under 4 minutes, and reported flames visible from a 43-foot 5th-wheeler possibly threatening other structures. More crews were requested, including units from Poulsbo and Bainbridge Island.

Crews conducted an aggressive interior fire attack and prioritized a rapid search of the trailer. Crews were met with zero visibility conditions as smoke filled the interior rooms. Two large dogs were located and moved to the driveway, where lifesaving measures were initiated, the release states.

After receiving oxygen and CPR, the dogs were transported to Apple Tree Cove Animal Hospital and were in stable condition. Crews were able to use medical equipment designed for animal emergencies donated to NKF&R by Invisible Fence through their “Project Breathe” program.

With no fire hydrants nearby, crews used water tender trucks to deliver water for the firefight. Although the fire was brought under control quickly, firefighters spent several hours checking for hot spots and removing salvageable belongings.

Officials say construction of camper trailers leads them to burn fast and hot, frequently resulting in complete destruction when fire strikes. Traffic on Miller Bay Road was limited to one lane between West Kingston Road and Heritage Park for about 30 minutes while crews fought the fire.

The trailer’s owner told officials that he noticed a brief flickering light before leaving the trailer to run an errand about 30 minutes prior to the incident. He received a phone call from the property owner advising of the fire and returned to the scene. The 5th wheel trailer and its contents were not insured. NKF&R firefighters contacted the Red Cross and local animal charities who are providing assistance.

Two investigators from the Kitsap County Fire Marshal’s Office responded. Based on witness statements and evidence they say the fire likely started from a faulty outlet.