SILVERDALE — A gas line was struck during construction near Silverdale Elementary School on Friday morning.
At approximately 10:45 a.m., Central Kitsap Fire and Rescue responded to the report of a gas leak at Silverdale Elementary on Dickey Road. A construction worker had hit a two-inch natural gas pipe. Responders cordoned off a 300-foot isolation zone and had the people in the buildings within that zone evacuate, said Ileana LiMarzi, public information officer for Central Kitsap Fire and Rescue.
Approximately 30 other people in two nearby buildings sheltered in place for approximately an hour while their HVAC systems were shut off and windows and doors were kept closed. No one was injured or affected, LiMarzi said.
Cascade Natural Gas responded to the scene to confirm the shutdown of the gas line in order for Central Kitsap Fire and Rescue to clear the scene.
— Mark Krulish is a reporter for Kitsap News Group. He can be reached at email@example.com.