Bremerton shooting suspect charged with first-degree assault with a firearm

A 26-year-old East Bremerton man who allegedly barricaded himself inside a Bremerton home and shot a man was formerly charged in Kitsap County Superior Court Wednesday.

Moreau A. Nauden was charged with first-degree assault with a firearm. Bail was set at $1.5 million.

If convicted, Nauden could spend 120-160 months, or 10-13 years, in prison, according to the prosecutor’s office. He also would serve an additional five years behind bars because he used a firearm.

He allegedly barricaded himself inside his ex-girlfriend’s mother’s home in the 600 block of Bremerton Boulevard in Navy Yard City for more than two hours Saturday.

There were 10 people inside the house when the incident began. The ex-girlfriend was the intended victim, according to Kitsap County Sheriff’s Office spokesman Deputy Scott Wilson, and she was at the residence.

The woman’s mother called 911 around 10 a.m. saying Nauden was demanding to be let inside. She repeatedly told him to leave, but he refused.

He had threatened to harm his ex-girlfriend and her 4-year-old daughter in the past, according to Wilson.

A KCSO sergeant arrived at 10:12 a.m. and found Nauden standing outside the two-story townhouse’s main door. He ordered him to step away from the door, but he did not comply.

The sergeant saw what he believed was the outline of a handgun in Nauden’s coat pocket, according to KCSO.

“All of a sudden things started happening very quickly,” Wilson said.

Nauden then lowered his shoulder and forced his way into the house.

The sergeant saw Nauden was holding a handgun right before he entered the house and then heard five gunshots once the suspect was inside.

Bremerton Police, Poulsbo Police, Washington State Patrol and more KCSO units arrived on scene. A SWAT team and crisis negotiators also were called in.

People who were inside the house began leaving through various doors and windows.

A 31-year-old man who sustained a gunshot wound to the arm was able to exit the building. He reportedly fought with Nauden and a bullet grazed his stomach before striking his arm, according to KCSO.

He was transported to Harrison Medical Center for further evaluation and treatment. His injury is not considered life-threatening.

Wilson said the injured man may be the woman’s new boyfriend, but that has not been confirmed.

The woman and her daughter hid inside a bedroom closet and Nauden did not know they were still inside.

The woman used her cell phone to text message her mother to let her know what was happening. That information was relayed to police, Wilson said.

The woman’s mother did not hang up the phone after calling 911, so dispatchers could hear everything that was happening while Nauden was inside the house, according to KCSO.

Crisis negotiators talked Nauden into surrendering and he turned himself in at 12:21 p.m.

The standoff lasted more than two hours.

“There was a potential here for a lot of injuries and a lot of possible fatalities,” Wilson said.

Detectives discovered the handgun Nauden used had been reported stolen from an East Bremerton home in September 2008.

While police searched the house gathering evidence pertaining to the home invasion and shooting, they found a large marijuana grow in the basement, according to Wilson. A separate investigation concerning the marijuana is ongoing.