A bad dog dream and gourmand’s search for a free meal | Port Orchard Police

PORT ORCHARD — The following summaries are derived from reports filed over the past few weeks by the Port Orchard Police Department. The summaries are not meant to be considered a complete recounting of incidents under police investigation.

April 3

Port Orchard police units were dispatched to the 1900 block of SE Sedgwick Road at a department store parking lot, where a vehicle-pedestrian collision with injuries had been reported.

The reporting party said that a female had been run over by her own vehicle. Arriving officers found the driver inside the vehicle bleeding from her head and leg. At the same time, a South Kitsap Fire and Rescue unit arrived and the victim was treated by paramedics. She had visible blood on her face, neck, back and the back of her head. The victim complained of pain emanating from her head, back and leg.

Officers spoke with two witnesses at the scene. The male and female witnesses, who were friends of the victim and traveling companions, said they were transients living in the van that was involved in the accident. He said at the time of the accident, he and the other female witness were in the rear of the van lying down.

The man said the vehicle’s condition was quite poor, necessitating that it be shifted either into drive or reverse by manipulating the engine compartment.

He told officers that the victim told him she was going to move the van from its parked position in the northeast corner of the parking lot by opening the hood to shift the engine out of park — as she had done many times before on her own. The officers reported the lot has a slight decline to the west.

The male witness recounted that when the victim began working the shifter, he felt the van start to roll. He looked up and saw the victim trying to get into the driver side of the vehicle to stop it. He saw the open driver-side door hit the victim and knock her down as she attempted to get in. He said he felt the vehicle jump as it ran over her. The witness said he jumped over to the front seat and hit the brake to stop the vehicle, then called 911.

The other transient witness said she was lying down in the back when the van started to roll. She heard the victim cry out and felt the van bump as it ran over her fellow passenger.

The victim was transported to Harrison Bremerton for additional treatment. Medics told police her injuries weren’t life threatening.

Police officers were called to the home of a woman who said her daughter had been bitten in the face by a dog. An officer found the woman’s daughter sitting with a rag covering the lower part of her face.

He observed a small laceration on the right side of her face just above the left lip, as well as a small wound on the lower left lip. Both would require stitches. When asked what had happened, the girl told the officer that she had been at a friend’s house on Mitchell Avenue and found the family’s black lab asleep, when it began to growl and whine. The girl said she attempted to wake the dog and when she did, it jumped up and bit her on the face.

The officer asked her the location of the dog, and she responded it was still at her friend’s residence. The girl said she did not want the dog to be “put down” and did not think the dog bit her “on purpose.” She was concerned about the dog’s fate and did not want that to happen.

When officers arrived at the home where the dog was living, a man answered the door and let them inside. The officers asked to speak with the dog’s owner, who was summoned. They entered the living room, where the black dog was sitting on the couch. Other than a quick growl, the dog didn’t bark or make any aggressive movements toward the officers. After being in the house for a few minutes, the officers reported the dog came over wagging her tail and began licking them.

The dog’s owner appeared and was informed of the situation, which he confirmed he knew about. Asked how long he’d owned the dog, the man said he had gotten her from the “pound” about a year ago.

Officers asked him the dog’s age and if it had ever acted aggressively toward anyone. The man responded that he believed the dog was 2 and said it hadn’t ever shown signs of being aggressive. While the officers were in the house, the dog didn’t show any aggressiveness — except for an aggressively wagging tail.

The owner was told that a report would be written and forwarded to the Kitsap Animal Rescue for review. Officers told him the agency might stop by to do their own investigation.

April 2

An officer was dispatched to a telephone detail involving a vehicle prowl at a local golf course parking lot.

He spoke by phone to a man who said he was a golf course restaurant employee who had parked his car there to go work early that morning. When he returned to his car later that afternoon after his shift ended, he found that someone had gotten into the vehicle, a blue Honda Element, and had stolen his mother’s debit card, along with his PlayStation 3 game controller and three video games.

The officer contacted the man’s mother and asked her about the debit card. She stated that her debit card had indeed been in her son’s car at the time of its “abduction.” The woman told the officer that she had immediately canceled the card and confirmed with her bank that it hadn’t been used since being taken.

There was no video surveillance of the parking lot for police to review.

Officers observed that night a white 1994 Ford Escort parked next to an unoccupied work van among several other work vans parked in an overnight lot. The vans had been broken into and prowled in the past.

The Escort was registered to a Port Orchard man living a short distance away. An adult male, meanwhile, was observed lying across the car’s front passenger seat, apparently asleep. The strong smell of gas was obvious to the officers in the vicinity of the vehicle.

A warrant check found that the man had a warrant for failure to appear on a fourth-degree domestic-violence assault charge, as well as a third-degree domestic violence malicious mischief charge, both issued by the Kitsap County Sheriff’s Office.

The man was then transported and booked into Kitsap County Jail for the warrants. Bail was set at $10,000.

The vehicle’s owner was contacted about how to dispose of the Escort. The man told police that he had sold the car to the suspect four to six months ago. A report of sale had not been completed.

The suspect had asked the owner to retrieve the Ford in order to avoid an impound, and he agreed. The suspect had asked that the keys be left inside the car for the owner. He told police he would walk over from Roosevelt Avenue to retrieve the Ford.

An officer was dispatched to Port Orchard Marina, where he met a woman who has a boat moored there.

The woman told the officer her HP laptop computer had been stolen off her boat sometime over the last two days. Her vessel is a 30-foot Chris Craft. She said the snap canvas cover over the back was loose when she arrived that day. She said it was closed when she left two days prior. The interior cabin of the vessel was unlocked and open for ventilation.

The woman said the laptop, valued at $700, was stowed under a blanket that has since been replaced after the computer was stolen. She told the officer that she would get the laptop’s serial number to him when she locates it. No suspects have been identified.

April 1

A police officer responded to a phone report of malicious mischief at the entrance of the McCormick Meadows housing development.

The development’s entrance sign had been reported to be damaged. Some of the neighbors had speculated that a group of kids wearing all-black attire had been seen in the area recently.

The HOA president told the officer that the cost to repair the sign was going to be between $750 and $1,000.

March 30

Police officers were called to a restaurant on the 1000 block of Bethel Avenue, where a man was reported to have refused to pay his breakfast bill.

Officers were told the suspect had arrived at the restaurant and had ordered food. A waitress said he kept getting food served while there and, when given a bill, he stated he couldn’t pay it.

After officers were directed to where the man was seated, he told them that he doesn’t normally have any money. He said that his “cashless” status was well-known by people, and his bills are usually paid by others. When asked if that was his game plan that day, the man said, well, yes.

He was instructed to stand up and then was placed under arrest for theft. The grifter was placed into handcuffs, seated into the police cruiser and readied for a free ride to jail. The restaurant said the man’s bill that day for unpaid food was $37.22.

Police later discovered the man had been arrested on March 29 on Bainbridge Island and again the same day in Poulsbo for similar mealtime thefts.

The gratis gourmand was booked for third-degree theft and bail was set at $5,000. He was issued a criminal citation and given a court date.