2 suspects injure 3 officers in separate attacks

Kitsap County court cases

It’s been a tough few days for Kitsap County sheriff’s deputies as three suffered injuries in two separate attacks by suspects.

In one incident, an 18-year-old Bremerton teen hit one deputy in the head with handcuffs then tried to choke him. He then kicked another one in the face, sheriff’s reports say. In the other, a 27-year-old Port Orchard man punched a deputy in the face while being led to a cell in the county jail.

The teen was in Kitsap County Superior Court Sept. 5 on charges of third-degree assault, third-degree assault of an officer and driving under the influence. He faces 11 years in prison and a $25,000 fine. Bail was set at $100,000.

Sheriff’s papers say the teen was arrested at 12:50 a.m. Sept. 2 in the 3300 block of NW Byron Street in Silverdale. The officer saw a vehicle speeding and going through a stop sign. The deputy stopped the suspect as he backed into a parking space. The suspect refused to take field sobriety tests and was arrested.

The teen was able to slip his handcuffs from his back to front in the patrol car. When another deputy was taking him to a different vehicle to fix the handcuffs the suspect broke free and ran. A deputy tackled him, but the suspect hit him in the head with the handcuffs, causing a laceration. The suspect then grabbed the deputy around the head and neck from behind.

The report says the suspect was trying to strangle the deputy, “attempting to cause great bodily harm or death…I know it does not take much pressure to crush a person’s larynx.” The other deputy then tackled the suspect but was kicked in the face.

The suspect was then subdued with the help of other officers. But then the suspect’s mom arrived and started yelling at officers. The suspect then grabbed a deputy’s testicles. That officer struck him in the face three times before the suspect let go, but then he grabbed the officer’s $750 glasses and destroyed them.

Officials later found out the suspect had assaulted an officer while a juvenile and had convictions for two assaults.

In the other incident, the 27-year-old man was in Superior Court Sept. 5 on a charge of second-degree assault. Bail was set at $50,000. He faces 10 years in prison and a $20,000 fine.

Sheriff’s reports say on Sept. 2 at 1:30 a.m. in the 600 block of Division Street the suspect punched an officer in the face in the booking area of the county jail. The officer needed nine stitches and had a nasal fracture.

The suspect was being booked when he asked what officers did with his marijuana. As the suspect was “ramping up his behavior,” the decision was made to return him to a holding cell. As he was being escorted there, that’s when the punch was thrown. The suspect was then taken to the floor by other officers.

Blackberry Festival

Meanwhile, a vendor at the Blackberry Festival was punched and then robbed of his merchandise Sept. 3.

A 39-year-old Seabeck man was in Superior Court Sept. 5 on a charge of second-degree robbery. Bail was set at $50,000. He faces 10 years in prison and a $20,000 fine.

Bremerton police say that on Sept. 3 at 6:45 p.m. they went to the 200 block of Pacific Avenue on a robbery call. Witnesses pointed to a man near an elevator in a parking garage. Officers put the suspect in handcuffs.

The victim said he was pushing a cart with $3,000 worth of his vendor merchandise to his vehicle. The suspect physically blocked his way, grabbed the cart, and they had a tug of war. The suspect punched the victim in the head and took the merchandise. The suspect then tried to take the victim’s backpack with a computer in it, but the victim ran away.