When it comes to searching for colognes, the number of options out there can be overwhelming. To get you started, we’ve compiled this list of the best selling colognes for men. Try one and discover why it’s made the list!
What Are The Different Types of Colognes?
Colognes go by a lot of different names–sprays, refreshers, eau de parfums, eau de toilettes. So how do you know what makes a scent the type of cologne it is, and what does that mean? Here are a few terms to familiarize yourself with:
- Eau de Parfum (Eau de Parfum is the strongest fragrance available in the men’s cologne world. They generally linger for about four to six hours after application.)
- Eau de Toilette (Eau de Toilette are slightly less strong than eau de parfums, and stick around for about two or three hours. If you are looking for a cologne to get you through the day, you probably shouldn’t go any weaker than this.)
- Eau de Cologne (Even though this has the word “cologne” in it, it’s actually the weakest of the fragrance options. If you opt for an eau de cologne, you’ll probably have to reapply throughout the day to get the desired effect.)
- Aftershave/Splash (These products are really not meant to be used as full on fragrances–they have other purposes. Splashes and aftershaves are ideal for a quick refresher after showering or working out. Don’t expect anything more from them!)
What Are Fragrance Notes and What Do They Mean?
If you’ve ever read a description of a scent you’ve probably heard a lot of cologne jargon that you’re unfamiliar with. Here are the most important fragrance terms to understand when shopping for your signature scent:
- Top Note (This is the scent that will hit your nose right after application.The top note is generally lighter, with floral, powdery, fruity, spicy, and aquatic scents that then fade with time.)
- Medium Note (The mid or medium note starts to develop a little bit after application. This note is important, as it holds the key elements to the fragrance. Middle notes will start hitting your nose after the top notes dissipate and can last anywhere between three to five hours. They’re usually composed of heavier scents such as patchouli or jasmine.)
- Base Note (The base note is revealed as the top and mid notes fade. Since the base notes are the foundation for your fragrance, they determine how long the fragrance will last, which is why a strong base note is vital. Most base notes are heavy, warm scents like moss, vanilla, tar, leather, musk, sandalwood, and tobacco.)
What Are The Different Fragrance Types?
The differences between colognes go beyond just their strength or what their notes are. There are different scent profiles that appeal to different people. Figuring out which scent profile you like best will make it much easier to find the right product for you. Here are a few different examples of fragrance types:
- Floral (Florals are lighter scents, such as rose, jasmine, peaches, and berries. Florals don’t technically only have to be flowers but most of the time, they are.)
- Woody (That quintessential “man” smell of the great outdoors. Woody scents include moss, cedar, and sandalwood and can be earthy, spicy, and musky.)
- Oriental (Oriental scents are much richer than florals. Spices count as oriental scents, as do warm notes of vanilla or patchouli.)
- Fresh (Fresh scent profiles include aromas that are classified as refreshing or clean. They are often water inspired or include citrus notes.)
This winning fragrance from Blu Atlas is a top choice for men looking for a cologne that will inspire their next adventure. Daring notes of oakmoss and vetiver blend seamlessly with lavender, patchouli, and bergamot for an invigorating effect. This product strikes a balance between a potent formula that lingers and a subtle fragrance that doesn’t overwhelm the senses.
Blu Atlas is dedicated to making clean grooming products for men, meaning that this cologne is 100% natural and won’t irritate your skin! You can feel good about using this fragrance because it goes gentle on you and the earth.
2. Chanel Bleu de Chanel Eau de Parfum
This ultra-masculine scent is filled with sexy and sultry notes of citrus accord, labdanum, sandalwood cedar, tonka bean, vanilla, and warm woods. It’s a rich and comforting fragrance that is perfect for daily use, a night out, or a quick midday refresh.
Bleu de Chanel has been a best-selling men’s cologne since it debuted on the fragrance scene in 2010. More than a decade later, this earthy and woody scent is still rocking the charts. For a fan-favorite, cult classic, and iconic fragrance you will want to keep using forever (and ever), Bleu de Chanel is a must.
3. Dior Sauvage Eau de Toilette
The inspiration behind this cologne is simple: what it means to be a man. Dior’s perfumer created Sauvage to contain an unmistakable masculinity that transcends time and fashion. If you think that sounds good, just wait until you smell this blend!
Bright notes of bergamot and pepper swirl around a warm base of amberwood. The scent brings to mind open desert, blue sky, and vast landscapes that evoke a desire for adventure. Plus, the bottle is refillable, which is convenient for you and good for the environment!
4. Versace Eros
Versace’s Eros is a timeless scent that will always top the charts of best selling colognes for men. It’s got everything you could want in a cologne: passion, elegance, class, and a memorable fragrance inspired by the Greek god of love.
The essence of passionate love is made up of a mixture of mint leaves, orange blossom, vanilla, green apple, Italian lemon zest, and wood notes. Warning: this cologne may bring out your inner romantic!
5. Yves Saint Laurent Y Eau de Parfum
Make Y Eau de Parfum your signature scent to make the most elegant impression. This timeless scent is popular thanks to its blend of sage, geranium, and citrus. Yves Saint Laurent claims this is the aromatic version of the classic white T-shirt and black jacket outfit. With just a few spritzes of this potent cologne, you’re ready to conquer the day ahead.
6. Armani Beauty Acqua di Gio Pour Homme
Giorgio Armani is a luxury Italian brand, and its fragrances just ooze style. Acqua di Gio Pour Homme is one of the best-selling colognes for men thanks to its reputation for bold, sexy notes that sometimes come across as soft and sensual. This is because the fragrance is expertly blended to release different aromas throughout its wear.
Bright top notes of bergamot and green tangerine give way to persimmon, rosemary, neroli, and patchouli for an intoxicating mixture of spice and floral scents. While this fragrance may become your go-to for everyday wear, that doesn’t mean it isn’t fancy enough for your most important occasions!
7. Maison Margiela ‘Replica’ Jazz Club
Men are swept away by this fragrance by Maison Margiela that embodies all the sensual pleasure of a Brooklyn jazz club. This cologne is more than just a scented product, it’s a story in a bottle. You’re instantly whisked away by a smoky pink pepper accord, with notes of rum, tobacco leaf, neroli, lemon, and vanilla. It’s the kind of fragrance that allows you to be just the man you want to be.
8. Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille Eau de Parfum
Tom Ford fragrances are aromatic journeys. Like this one that takes you to your grandfather’s study, or an English gentlemen’s club. Classic tobacco leaf mingles with warm vanilla, then a hit of ginger pokes through and cocoa seals the deal. This cologne leaves a powerful impression thanks to its classically masculine notes that come together in a way that suits a modern gentleman.
9. Dolce & Gabbana Light Blue Pour Homme Eau de Toilette
Dolce & Gabbana are creators of many best selling colognes for men, like this popular fragrance. This light, fresh, and citrusy scent is a must-have for men who want to appreciate the joys and little moments in life. Light Blue Pour Homme is an aquatic blend of juniper, mandarin, oakmoss, frozen grapefruit, juniper, rosewood, Sichuan pepper, American muskwood, incense, and oakmoss.
This cologne bottles the charm of the Mediterranean for your everyday use. Embrace the warmth, sunshine, and pure joy that accompany this scent that men call their guilty pleasure.
10. Viktor & Rolf Spicebomb
Are you ready for the impact this spicebomb will have on you? Very few fragrances have Spicebomb’s massive cult following, but Viktor & Rolf have amassed quite the fan base over the years. If an explosion of intense spices sounds like an ideal cologne to you, then you’ve found yourself a perfect scent. Spicebomb is a rich, warm blend of sage, bergamot, roasted almonds, pink pepper, chili, cinnamon, smooth tobacco, lather, steely vetiver, and triple black spice complex that create an unforgettable aromatic experience. You’ll never find anything quite like it!
11. Chanel Allure Homme Sport Eau de Toilette
Chanel knows a thing or two about creating world-class fragrances. Like this best selling cologne for athletic men. Use Allure post-workout for a refreshing pick-me-up of mandarin and almond mixed with white musk, cedar, and tonka bean. Men love how this makes them smell calm and composed no matter what life throws at them.
12. Versace Dylan Blue
If it seems like most men’s fragrances are inspired by the ocean—specifically the Mediterranean—you’d be right. But as far as Mediterranean-inspired colognes go, Versace Dylan Blue is one of the best. This sexy and masculine scent is filled with aquatic notes of bergamot, patchouli, violet leaves, and fig leaves. It’s a refreshing take on oversaturated ocean-inspired fragrances. You have to try this cologne to understand why it’s been a fan favorite since its debut!
13. Yves Saint Laurent La Nuit de L’Homme
La Nuit de L’Homme is yet another best-seller by the iconic French brand Yves Saint Laurent. This cologne is for men who are bold, sophisticated, masculine, and powerful. La Nuit de L’Homme is a sultry blend of cardamom, cedarwood, coumarin, and cool spices. Wear it for daily use or keep it tucked away, reserved for the big moments iin life.
14. Chanel PLATINUM ÉGOÏSTE Eau de Toilette
Chanel’s PLATINUM ÉGOÏSTE brings French elegance and style right to you. A sophisticated blend of cedarwood, lavender, petitgrain, clary sage, and rosemary is clean and intriguing. This cologne will help you feel your best when you walk out the door, and subtly lingers throughout the day to remind you of your inner European charm.
15. Prada Luna Rossa Ocean Eau de Toilette
This fragrance is one of Prada’s best sellers, thanks to its ocean freshness and subtle sensuality. An aquatic blend of bergamot, iris, and vetiver make for a striking scent that complements any occasion. It’s both aromatic and clean, allowing you to appear polished and attentive no matter what is going on in your busy life!
16. Valentino Uomo Born In Roma
This brand needs no introduction. Valentino Uomo Born in Roma is a rocking blend of violet, vetiver, peppermint essence, lavender, cedar, salt accord, agalwood, and ginger. It will take everything you think you know about cologne for men and flip it upside down–in the best of ways! This scent was inspired by Rome’s pop-punk scene, which is just one reason why it’s been a best seller for years.
17. Armani Beauty Armani Code
Another best-seller from Armani Beauty is Armani Code—a true masculine scent. This woody, spicy cologne is filled with notes of olive tree blossom, guaiac wood, and tonka bean. It’s a warm, deep, and welcoming fragrance that will become your morning go-to.
18. Versace Pour Homme
Versace Pour Homme is a celebration of the finest things in life. Its airy blend of zesty notes like bergamot, neroli and bitter orange leaves complements aromas of geranium, clary sage, and wood notes for the ultimate masculine fragrance. Men love how this cologne walks the line between subtle and in-your-face, making for the perfect long-lasting fragrance.
19. Dolce & Gabbana The One For Men Eau de Parfum
Keep Dolce & Gabbana’s The One in your date night arsenal and use it as a tool of seduction. This sexy, warm blend of cardamom, ginger, coriander, tobacco, basil, and sweet orange has the ability to transform even the most dull days into something special.
20. Montblanc Legend Eau de Toilette
Montblanc Legend Eau de Toilette represents everything a true wilderness man should be. This best selling cologne for men combines Italian bergamot with French lavandin, pineapple leaves, white cedar, jasmine, and tonka bean for an intriguing mix. It’s both daring and homey, exciting and calming; full of contradictions just like you.
21. Ralph Lauren Polo Blue Eau de Toilette
Alright, there’s a chance you haven’t heard of some of the best-sellers on this list, but you definitely know Ralph Lauren’s Polo! This cologne is loved by men around the globe for its iconic and timeless spirit. An earthy blend of basil, sage, cucumber, patchouli, suede and musk creates an irresistibly classy effect.
22. Coach for Men
Coach’s fragrance for men takes you on an aromatic journey to the streets of New York City, where everything is possible and all dreams are within reach. The sensual nashi blossom lies at the heart of this blend, with notes of cardamom and vetiver weaving through for a unique experience that has put this product on the best seller list.
Have you found your signature scent yet? Try out any of these best selling colognes and you’ll have a go-to fragrance for life!