SILVERDALE – A cat, snake and dog survived, but one dog died in an apartment fire Sept. 11 at the Wellington Apartments at 3414 NW Kensington Lane.
“Velcro the kitten and Snakey the snake were found alive,” Central Kitsap & Fire spokeswoman Ileana LiMarzi reported at 7:44 p.m. that day. “A dog also survived and one, unfortunately, did not make it. The surviving pets are headed to the vet for a check-up.”
The apartment is uninhabitable. “Red Cross will be contacted to assist the residents,” LiMarzi reported.
Firefighters from CKF&R, Bremerton and Navy Region Northwest went to the scene of the second-floor apartment fire late Sept. 11. The fire was contained to the kitchen. The county fire marshal determined that the blaze began at the stove; one of the residents said he had been cooking with grease.
While the fire was contained to the kitchen, “there is heavy smoke damage throughout the unit,” LiMarzi reported.