Kingston man taken to Harborview with burns from pan fire

KINGSTON — A Kingston man was airlifted to Seattle’s Harborview Medical Center with burns after a pan of oil caught fire at his home late July 13.

North Kitsap Fire & Rescue crews were dispatched to a report of injuries following a fire that had been extinguished. When firefighters arrived at the scene, they found the man with second-degree burns to his entire right arm, NKF&R spokeswoman Michele Laboda reported. The man told crews that a pan of oil had been set on the stove to heat. After leaving the kitchen for a brief time, the man and his wife returned to find the pan ablaze.

“While his wife went to the home’s electrical panel to secure the stove’s circuit breaker, the man attempted to carry the flaming pan outside and the hot liquid sloshed onto his arm,” Laboda reported. “Damage to the home itself was limited; light smoke and heat damage affected the stove, the stove vent and the cabinets above.

Because of the severity and location of the burn, paramedics called for an Airlift Northwest helicopter; the helicopter landed at David Wolfle Elementary School and transported the man to the regional burn center at Harborview.

“According to the National Fire Protection Association, cooking is the leading cause of fires in the United States,” Laboda reported. “Unattended cooking is the most common factor in these incidents. Firefighters say that these types of fires are best prevented by remaining in the kitchen when using stoves. They recommend keeping a pan lid handy — especially when cooking with oil or grease — and, in the event that fire breaks out, using the lid to smother the flames.

More in News

Former Gov. Spellman dies at 91

Spellman was Washington’s 18th governor

Capital Budget clears Senate Ways & Means Committee

Funding for numerous Kitsap projects on the line

Former Poulsbo mayoral candidate files application for appointment to City Council

POULSBO — Deadline for applications for appointment to Poulsbo City Council Position… Continue reading

The Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. in 1964, the year he received the Nobel Peace Prize. (Public domain)
Remembering Martin Luther King Jr.

Federal holiday; schools, banks and government offices are closed in observance

North Kitsap Fire & Rescue firefighters had contained a stump pile fire near Hansville around noon, but reported that the fire was “stubborn,” so firefighters would likely be on scene throughout the day.
                                NKF&R/Courtesy
Busy day for Poulsbo, North Kitsap firefighters

House fire in Lemolo, stump pile fire near Hansville

County’s permitting process is online soon

PORT ORCHARD — Kitsap County’s Department of Community Development is transitioning to… Continue reading

Fathoms contestants get Toastmasters’ feedback

PORT ORCHARD — Contestants for the 2018 Fathoms O’ Fun royalty court… Continue reading

Tony Hillman, 39, is the newest Bremerton City Council member. (Courtesy photo)
Hillman appointed District 4 Bremerton City Council member

BREMERTON — Tony Hillman, controller for Habitat for Humanity, was appointed Jan.… Continue reading

Miss Poulsbo 2017 Caroline Atkins crowns Natalia Tucker as Holly Rouse looks on.
                                Jesse Beals/Olympic Photo Group
Titleholders’ priorities: Mentoring and empowerment

Miss Poulsbo, Miss Kitsap, Miss Silverdale win scholarships and commit to a year of service

Most Read